help with training for a ride

RyanMK43
RyanMK43 Posts: 113
edited March 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hi guys, a group of 5 of us are taking part in a 75 mile ride in roughly about 13 weeks time, 3 of us I can't see having a problem doing it. The other two I am a little concerned about, one definitely more so than the other. The one I am more concerned about can get to around 30 miles and then is KO’d and is riding at barely walking speed. When it comes to climbs he has a habit of just dropping straight through all his gears and wears himself out even more, then gets off and walks. The other guy has a bit more fight about him and will keep pushing himself till the top but ultimately still needs to be fitter.

So anyway what sort of help training would you recommend or any tips? We try and get out every weekend but that is not always possible. Would you set yourself a target of getting somewhere then have a lunch brake or would you get to your target, a quick rest and then bike back? I don’t want them to loose heart and give in but still want them to push. Any help would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    What ride are you doing out of interest, its not the Bucks off road sportive is it ?
  • RyanMK43
    No it’s actual a road event. London Nightride but we are all doing it on hardtails. He’s running Bontys XR2s at the min on his bike but he’s buying either Schwalbe city jets or Schwalbe XC comp for the event to help him. We're training on the roads and also around Woburn trails
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Hi Ryan
    The answer is quite simply do the miles and the fitness comes, Not getting it too technical but the more you all ride the better fitness you will all have, mix it up with some hill climbs but keep it interesting, have mini races to the crest of the hill, or stop at a pub and make the last rider buy the drinks, etc etc it's amazing how much more people will push.

the guy who gets off and walks will probably drop out before the event, sadly, seen it too many times before, a bit of dedication and determination are needed for anything endurance related and it sounds like he has neither.

But good luck with the training and i hope you all finish the ride.
  • RyanMK43
    Hi collo thanks for the reply. It has crossed my mind that he will drop out. With the pub would you say stop more along the way back so he doesn't have as far to bike after stopping or just at the half way point? I like the idea of racing to the top of the hill as it kind of gives us fitter 3 a bit of a challang then.
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Yeah, use the drink stop after half way, then increase the distance nearer home and finally a pub or similar venue back at home, that way you can ride the entire route.

Good luck