Broken arm recovery time

Shishman
Shishman Posts: 40
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Broke my upper arm back in mid January - came off my bike. Had it plated beginning of February. Still quite sore and stiff at the moment but getting better slowly.

Has anybody had the same injury as I am so desperate to get on my bike?

If so, when would it be possible to get riding again?

Thanks.

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Your surgeon should really be the one to tell you - clean breaks in cast are generally 6 weeks, I'd be surprised if plating it made it any quicker. So, TALK TO YOUR SURGEON!

Also, bear in mind that even a couple of weeks in cast will cause muscle wastage - your arm will come out a fair bit weaker than it went in, so allow a bit of time to get the muscle back up to strength before you're really fighting fit. In other words, take it easy your first few rides, and if it hurts, stop!

And talk to your surgeon - nothing you read on this website should be taken as medical advice!!!

Hope you get well soon - I chipped a bone in my wrist a few years back and got away with ony 4 weeks in cast - took more like 10 weeks until it even started to feel "normal" - take it easy, don't rush it, cos you really want it to heal up properly.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Shishman
    Thanks Tommy.

My arm is in a sling but not plastered. Seeing my surgeon week on Friday and was told I could stop using the sling about the time of the next appointment.

Just hoping to talk to anybody who has experienced a similar fracture.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Was it the radial head you fractured\broke?

I fractured mine back in June last year, and it's still not 100%, but was able to ride the bike after about 8 weeks.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Shishman
    Broke it mid shaft
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Had a dismal humorus fracture about 7 years ago (the bottom of the upper bone in the arm). A bunch of screws in there and 10th weeks in plaster. Probably 10 weeks again until it was better. Still got the scar.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010