Long Mynd Routes

NickLCR
NickLCR Posts: 32
edited March 2012 in Routes
Heading over to the Long Mynd in a few weeks and trying to find some stuff about it.

This looks like the official map, just wondering what would be the best route to take.

map5.jpg

From that it looks like it suggests a clockwise route, but looking at peoples routes on Endomondo they seem to go anti-clockwise.

Also, is any of it waymarked on the actual route, or are we best taking a map with ut?

Comments

• bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    Google flattyres mtb routes. It'll eventually get you to the Edge Cycle shop. They now host flattyres routes and with a bit of digging you'll find a few Long Mynd routes. I did the "Stiperstones and Corndon Hill " a few weeks ago; didn't like it much. Too much soggy grass to wheel-slip over. It'll be a different ride in the dry weather.

We've done the "Long Mynd loops" a few times. It's OK at this time of year too. Pretty dry all over. Some stiff climbs though. (for me anyway). Nothing technical.

Some of the routes have a downloadable .GPX or .mmo files. Others just route instructions. I always take an OS map anyway, just in case!

Hope this helps.
  • speshpaul
    speshpaul Posts: 108
    Map yes the way marking is ok but theres more to the mynd than that route.

I'd start from Church Stretton (unless you are stopping over night then try the YHA and The bridges at Ratlinghope.)
    theres proper shops and food in Stretton only a bike shop at Marshbrook. Also check out Plush Hills in Streeton Al will help out with routes. He has some stuff here http://www.plushhillcycles.co.uk/trails.html
    I'd head north to All Stretton, turn left up batch valley, turn hard right past the new "Grand designs" house and follow the steep singletrack climb up the RHS. Once your legs and lungs are talking to each other again pick a route to the trig point (the last section tof footpath to the trig is now a permissive route.) Down the other side from the trig towards the glider station and pick up Minton Batch. Drop seat and accelerate. At the bottom keep turning right nad follow the fire road through the forest to the back of the glider station. make your way to the tarmac road and head back towards the trig, look out for the trails on your right to little stretton (Callow Hill) A Great descent to finish on and brings you out by the Raglith pub:-)
    Now that is a basic route of about 15mile. Some good climbs and 2 classic desents. Using the other maps you can make some add on as you choose.
    Or give me a shout on paulDOTsalATbtinternet.com
    cheers
    Paul
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    Given the choice of a HT or FS for the Long Mynd, I presume its HT all the way?
  • speshpaul
    speshpaul Posts: 108
    I'd take what ever you fancy riding. downs reward the ups, so i wouldn't be too concerned.