Whch bike?

alamb200
alamb200 Posts: 74
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
Hi All,
I am sorry to raise a question which you have probably answered a thousand time before but here goes nothing.
Currently I have two bikes and old mountain style bike (well it has knobbly tyres) and a 30 year old Falcon racer (which I love but it fell off my bike carrier and is knackered). I use the racer to bike 10.5 miles each way to work three days a week and the mountain bike for going off road once in a blue moon.
My work after actually looking at my racer have offered to join a bike to work scheme so I can get a new bike, I quite like the idea and have the idea of getting rid of both my old bikes and getting one hybrid to do both jobs.
As I have never actually bought myself a new bike and have always bought second hand (the last one been around 15 years ago for £10) I have no idea what to look for.
I have been to a couple of bike shops and got some recommendations but need some advice if possible? To help you out I would say that I use the road bike around 95% of the time and the mountain bike the other 5%.
The bikes I have been recommended are:
Specialized Cross Trail Sport Disc
Forme Peak Trail 2.0
Forme Peak Trail 3.0
What do you think?
Thanks,
alamb200

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Bad idea in my opinion, you'll have the best of no worlds (or the worst of both worlds) with those types of hybrid bike. If you loved riding your Falcon I think you should be going for something more road like and keep your MTB for off road stuff.

I love my On One Pompetamine. Steel frame, disc brakes, hub gears, bosses for guards/rack. A bit on the heavy side but otherwise a great commuting bike (it'll take much thinner tyres for a more road bike like feel).

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETV ... sa_8_speed

If you're C2W scheme ties you to Halfords the Boardman CX gets rave reviews (although I've no personal experience). Again thinner tyres might be needed if you're going to be mostly on the road.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710