Distance / Time Question

BruunLoss
BruunLoss Posts: 103
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys, not sure how many people use Cycle Meter but for my blog, I want to accurately portray my distances and times so I have a question. As I ride for weight loss and not full on sport or racing, I post my distance covered with the time [in saddle cycling]. This is because I stop at points for either water intake, or using the bathroom or as I am also a photographer, stop for some photo opportunities that arise from new locations. So for example, a ride of 40 odd miles where in saddle riding was just under 3 hours, but actual time from home, out and back with stops was 5 hours. Is it still fair to say that I rode 40 miles in 3 hours which is actual riding time or best to say the 40 mile journey took 5 hours because of various stops?

I think the first one, it took me 3 hours to cycle 40 miles is the right one because you can't include stopping for breakfast or photos for example but I might be wrong!

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yes, ride time is 3 hours. But would it have taken you 3 hours if you hadnt stopped for a break? Would you have tired quicker towards the end and slowed down further?
  • BruunLoss
    I'd say if I didn't take breaks, yes, I would have slowed down. I've only been cycling 6 weeks this week and weight about 290lbs, so I wouldn't have been able to cycle 3 hours straight, not with my high blood pressure anyway...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's time on the bike. Time spent off the bike is just that, and you don't want to be bolting your dinner to make a good time.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I don't suppose it really matters, but riding non-stop for 3 hours is very, very different to taking 5 hours to ride for only 3 hours. Can't you just include total time and time riding in your blog?
    More problems but still living....
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It doesn't really matter, all you want is a reasonably consistent record of your efforts. The former is most meaningful - time on the bike.

And hats off to you - 3hrs is a decent stint for anyone only 6 weeks into cycling. That 290lbs and blood pressure will both be reducuing if you keep that up. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    t4tomo wrote:
    It doesn't really matter, all you want is a reasonably consistent record of your efforts. The former is most meaningful - time on the bike.

And hats off to you - 3hrs is a decent stint for anyone only 6 weeks into cycling. That 290lbs and blood pressure will both be reducuing if you keep that up. :D

+1 Well done
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    just to be slightly argumentative in the audax world it`s total time . the quicker you ride the more time you can spend with your feet up
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    BL, you are getting along at a good pace there for a big'un, 13.3 mph. Have you got a good accurately set computer?
    Also, when you compute the weight, average speed etc., you must be kicking out a fair amount of watts which beggars the question.....Do your vests get a bit soggy at times ? Mine are absolutely drenched after a ride like that. You must be like a drowned rat! :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    You'll cycle quicker if you are taking breaks. That's because you can put in more power which means you are burning more calories :D Riding for 3 hours continuously would be certainly be harder and slower but the way you are doing it seems spot on and you get to enjoy another hobby whilst you are at it. Perfect!

Martin
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My view is that if you are only going to record one time metric then it has to be total time. Taking 2 x 1 hour breaks on a 40 mile ride effectively makes it 3 x 13.33 mile rides.

Also, how can you record improvement if you only record ride time and then work your way up to do a single 40...the time taken will be depressingly more than the 40 (err, 3 x 13.33) that you first started with. So, the best way would be two time metrics, ride time and total time. Failing that, do you what you blinking want, it is your log!

Great going by the way, keep it up fella.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Record both times, why not? Worrying about 'time in the saddle' definitely helps the motivation when pedalling, whereas worrying about spending an extra 10 minutes on the lunch stop doesn't really get you very far (from a weight loss POV, I mean).

Although, when it comes to weight loss I wonder if it's simply more about getting miles under your belt, and forget about the time.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    BruunLoss wrote:
    Is it still fair to say that I rode 40 miles in 3 hours which is actual riding time or best to say the 40 mile journey took 5 hours because of various stops?

I think the first one, it took me 3 hours to cycle 40 miles is the right one because you can't include stopping for breakfast or photos for example but I might be wrong!

At the end of the day mate - it's YOUR log and therefore YOUR choice :!: You can record rides in mars bars eaten if you like :!: It only becomes significant if you want to start comparing rides with other people - until then go with what you feel is correct :wink:
  • BruunLoss
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I use CYCLEMETER for iPhone to record my time/distance/calorie burn etc. I start it when I leave my house and only stop it for example, 1 hr 20 mins into the cycle, I stop for 10 mins for a bathroom break and water intake, or if I stop to take some photos or shoot video which is one of the reasons why I cycle, to get to places public transport doesn't go and I don't drive. I've done 2x40 mile journeys within 5 days of each other, both around same cycling time.

Regarding the sweat question, yeah, for a hefty guy, I do sweat, but its mainly my chest and my back, back due to back pack which I used to haul 20-30lbs of camera gear with me. Thanks god I sold it all and opted for a high end compact with almost all the same control functions! LOL.

I'm mainly cycling to lose weight and enjoy getting out of the house as I have an anxiety disorder. I have no intention of racing unless after I lose me goal weight of approx 80-100lbs, I feel fit and fast enough to get more serious. But for now, my main goal is to get out there, cycle distances and control my anxiety and lose weight at the same time.

With high blood pressure, having an anxiety attack on the road is very dangerous, I've been hospitalized many times with this disorder so I won't push myself too hard. Occasional if I am near a goal distance or time, and I feel ok, I will try smash it, other times, I just have to stop and take care until I am fit again to cycle.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    BruunLoss wrote:
    I'm mainly cycling to lose weight and enjoy getting out of the house as I have an anxiety disorder. I have no intention of racing unless after I lose me goal weight of approx 80-100lbs, I feel fit and fast enough to get more serious. But for now, my main goal is to get out there, cycle distances and control my anxiety and lose weight at the same time.

With high blood pressure, having an anxiety attack on the road is very dangerous, I've been hospitalized many times with this disorder so I won't push myself too hard. Occasional if I am near a goal distance or time, and I feel ok, I will try smash it, other times, I just have to stop and take care until I am fit again to cycle.

Good effort and a good approach mate - get out there and enjoy every ride :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    The only thing I would say is don't rely on the calorie count from a mobile phone app, they tend to over estimate by a lot in my experience. I tend to use the figure from my Polar computer as that knows my weight, height and max HR and is monitoring my HR on rides so has a lot of data on which to base the calories burned. It is often 30% lower than the figure I get from my Endomondo app.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I always gripe about elapsed time vs time in the saddle, but I know in my heart of hearts that the former is probably the most meaningful.

Otherwise, do a press-up - rest for ten minutes, do another - rest for ten minutes and continue until you've done fifty means you've done fifty press-ups, doesn't it? Well, yes and no. But mostly no really. :(
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • BruunLoss
    Good point. Speaking of pints, I haven't had one for 2 weeks, time to go have a nice Guinness and read the paper and then back home for my weight watchers lunch! [Doesnt taste too bad!]
  • dave2041
    dave2041 Posts: 97
    hmm, does this application not have auto stop? I have endomondo and it automatically accounts for the time spent waiting at red lights, breaks etc. At least that is my understanding of it ;)