After wheels, what's the best way to reduce weight?

13»

Comments

• I have recently taken my seatpost out of the frame, and discovered that I have about 4 inches of (aluminium) tube before I get to the limit line. Is there any disadvantage to getting a hacksaw to it?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    okgo wrote:
    I couldn't care less about the weight of it, if it was 8kg it would make barely any difference, the bike is fast due to aero parts, not because its light.

A smart chap from our club worked out what a kg was worth in a hill, and its bugger all, its really not worth messing around, but yes, if you want to and can afford to, then great, but be under no illusion as to the small difference it will make.

... you should also ask that 'smart chap' about the aero advantages of your new bike compared to your old one... the clue is in looking at the front of a bike with a seated rider, and looking at what gives the biggest areas to present to the wind... and it isn't the bike! The advantages will be no different to the weight.
    And considering you don't care about weight whatsoever, you seem to know the weight of your bike down to 100g ;)

I think there should be a rule about for posting statements than imply the OP should drop a few kg instead up upgrading their bike, for the poster to also post the model, spec and new value of their best bike.
    If I'm honest, I think the really issue here is that some people don't think 'Beginners' (or overweight people) should be allowed to own nice bikes, which is complete BS.
    Simon
  • springtide9
    dup!
    Simon
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    okgo wrote:
    I couldn't care less about the weight of it, if it was 8kg it would make barely any difference, the bike is fast due to aero parts, not because its light.

A smart chap from our club worked out what a kg was worth in a hill, and its bugger all, its really not worth messing around, but yes, if you want to and can afford to, then great, but be under no illusion as to the small difference it will make.

... you should also ask that 'smart chap' about the aero advantages of your new bike compared to your old one... the clue is in looking at the front of a bike with a seated rider, and looking at what gives the biggest areas to present to the wind... and it isn't the bike! The advantages will be no different to the weight.
    And considering you don't care about weight whatsoever, you seem to know the weight of your bike down to 100g ;)

I think there should be a rule about for posting statements than imply the OP should drop a few kg instead up upgrading their bike, for the poster to also post the model, spec and new value of their best bike.
    If I'm honest, I think the really issue here is that some people don't think 'Beginners' (or overweight people) should be allowed to own nice bikes, which is complete BS.

The bike is a LOT more aero with the frame and deep wheels, the wattage figure I'm sure that I save on this bike from the frame and wheels alone (not to mention the lower position I ride in on it) would be far more than what I would save if it weighed 9kg.

I've never been of that opinion, buy what you want, but just be aware how little point there is in spending a load of cash to save 500 grams off your saddle and post! :)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    I have recently taken my seatpost out of the frame, and discovered that I have about 4 inches of (aluminium) tube before I get to the limit line. Is there any disadvantage to getting a hacksaw to it?
    i wouldnt bother, weight save is minimal but structural integrity is mor important here. you dont want the seatpost or clampto split open.
  • springtide9
    okgo wrote:

The bike is a LOT more aero with the frame and deep wheels, the wattage figure I'm sure that I save on this bike from the frame and wheels alone (not to mention the lower position I ride in on it) would be far more than what I would save if it weighed 9kg.

I've never been of that opinion, buy what you want, but just be aware how little point there is in spending a load of cash to save 500 grams off your saddle and post! :)

Not sure the aero frame would save much in terms of watts, but yes I can see the rotating wheels and more importantly body position being more of a saving.

I know we are on the same page or very close, but some of the advice does seem "like an alcoholic giving advice to another alcoholic, about alcohol consumption."
    We all may say that we are not interested in weight specifically or even looks, but when it comes to the crunch, our purchases tell another story ;)
    Simon
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    The hypocrisy is very amusing.

I bet the same killjoys that are saying "you don't need to save weight/it will make no difference/lose weight off your fat a r s e etc" are the same people that drive around in a nicer car than they really "need".

We don't say to them, "Why not buy [brand X] car for [£x,000] less, you don't need such luxury for getting from A to B"

Why can't people just try to help a guy answer a perfectly good question, and just ermember he's not making judgements about what you spend your money on so don't do the same to him?

If he wants to make his bike a bit lighter and it makes him feel better, then why p1ss on his bonfire?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    As well as saving weight from your own bike, another good tip is to secretly shove heavy things down clubmates' seattubes when they are blissfully unaware.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • deepblue
    deepblue Posts: 16
    bus_ter wrote:
    A light bike is about 7kg. A heavy road bike is about 11kg. So the difference between a £3000 bike and a £300 bike is about 4kg. That's just 5% the weight of a a large fit adult. You could lose or gain that much weight in a couple of weeks easily changing your diet. It makes little sense spending money swapping componets just to save weight.

You could spend a lot of money trying to save 500g off your bike, or you could goto the toilet before a ride and lose as much weight, or you could drink a glass of water before a ride and gain that much weight...

Anyway after mugging off your question I'll answer it now :-) Try a lightweight saddle and carbon seatpost to shed a few hundred grammes..

this is such a good point - if (like me) the initial purpose of getting out on your bike is to loose some timber then the act of going out riding should lead to a much more significant weight loss than what can be gained by spending to drop weight.
    my advise (which is based on 2 weeks or having a road bike, but 5 years of a MTB bike) is get out and ride before you spend loads of money on gaining a 1kg advantage on your bike weight (IMO)...
  • rake wrote:
    I have recently taken my seatpost out of the frame, and discovered that I have about 4 inches of (aluminium) tube before I get to the limit line. Is there any disadvantage to getting a hacksaw to it?
    i wouldnt bother, weight save is minimal but structural integrity is mor important here. you dont want the seatpost or clampto split open.

That's what I was thinking, but having said that, if i split the frame I would have to buy a new bike :D:D