The Sea The Sea

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Well hms liverpool left liverpool for the last time today - ever - its getting scrapped. I managed to see it, and I really do love being by the sea.

So I wonder what makes people like the countryside or the seaside, is it where you're brought up or just well - some deeper impulse.

Just wondering.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    One of the most beautiful places I've been is Kaikoura in New Zealand. The sea and the mountains together really floats my boat.

nz-kaikoura-002.jpg

I'm from Manchester.......
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Cleat Eastwood
    funnily enough it was manchester I was thinking about. I love the place - even a a scouser - but the fact that the only water there is the canal or watery bits round dukes 92 made me think i'd really miss being by proper water if I lived there.

Having said that I do envy people who live in cumbria and the lakes - amazing countryside.
  • pottssteve
    I miss the sea, living in the middle of Europe. I lived in S. Wales for a while and found I was more in tune with nature - I invariably knew the phases of the moon and the tides all the time. Great cities by the sea have an extra dimension that inland cities don't. I love Auckland and Hong Kong, for example.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I spent a lot of my childhood in the country but live on the Antrim Coast. I'm pretty privileged to have this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_road_%2 ... Ireland%29 only a few minutes away.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    I spent a lot of my childhood in the country but live on the Antrim Coast. I'm pretty privileged to have this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_road_%2 ... Ireland%29 only a few minutes away.

You sir, are what is known in these parts as a Jammy Blighter :mrgreen:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Well hms liverpool left liverpool for the last time today - ever - its getting scrapped. I managed to see it, and I really do love being by the sea.

So I wonder what makes people like the countryside or the seaside, is it where you're brought up or just well - some deeper impulse.

Just wondering.

There's something so peaceful about looking out across some lovely views.

Gutted about HMS Liverpool - what time did she leave? My living room window looks out across the approach to the Mersey and I'd have seen it from my couch if I wasnt in work!!

from my garden, right outside the patio doors (tide out but it comes right up to the end of the garden).....

beach.jpg
  • Cleat Eastwood
    it went off at about half 11.

For a lump of metal it was quite moving. Billy Maher sang the leaving as she left, and some opera sing did You'll never walk alone.

Fair brought a tear to wooden leg and eyepatch. :D
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    It's sad when you see a sinking ship too.

liverpool-fan-crying.jpg
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    It's funny how you can take it for granted, I live in mid-Norfolk so have easy access to the coastline and the broads so a drive/ride to somewhere pleasant on a summers day is very easy but I guess for many in this country it's not that easy. It's odd how a beer in the sun feels so much better with the sound of water and waves nearby.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    England's green and pleasant land for me and the changing seasons. I have been lucky enough to be able to work with woods and in woods all my career. This time of year, this part of the world, despite our moans and grumblings about the weather and so on and so forth, just makes me feel like a kid again. So much change going on in early spring ... brilliant - in a "Fast Show" kind of way.

A slight aside. Hockney's landscape work; I think there is an exhibition on in London right now; it takes my breath away. It is a well overused term, but for me the guy is an absolute genius.
  • CrunchyToes
    CrunchyToes Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • pottssteve
    I live in one of the most naturally beautiful areas in the world (the Queenstown-Lakes District in NZ) and am utterly stunned everyday by the beauty of it all.

However, I grew up in the deepest, darkest 'oo-arh' countryside of the south of England and I just can't tell you how much I miss a truely ancient landscape, one that's been constantly affected by human beings for nigh on 10 thousend years. There's something about deep lanes, high hedgerows and cumbling, forest choked stone buildings which means I now can't watch Midsomer Murders without weeping!

No, neither can I...........
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    pauldavid wrote:

You sir, are what is known in these parts as a Jammy Blighter :mrgreen:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I grew up in deepest Oxfordshire so getting to the sea was always a treat. When we moved to Norfolk is was great to be able to take day trips to the seaside.
    I moved out of London to sunny Hastings (Peckham-on-Sea) and even had a sea view if I craned my neck. I used to extend my evening commute to ride the long seafront path most evenings, esp stormy ones.
    I like the countryside and I like the seaside. But which is best?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    We live in a wonderful country with many places, both coastal and inland of oustanding beauty. The great thing is with it being a relatively small island both are only a short drive/decent bike ride away; and I live about as far inland as is possible in our green and pleasent land.

BRITAIN IS GREAT. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Surrounded by hills as I am I can take in some great views via two wheels all leaving from my front door!
    Commute includes this:
    6812588144_67d70618ab.jpg

half hour from my front door inlcudes this:
    4895609032_d74795b73b.jpg

a wee bit further for this...
    5675276346_75ffb74eb9.jpg

and the route back from the LBS goes like this.
    5217449943_24337ecc07.jpg

The best thing about Scotland is you can go prettty much anywhere you like as long as you dont bother anyone its legal, all the wide open space and ready access to the countryside and coast provides plenty of peace and quiet.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I Live in Leicester :( My Heart Is In Cornwall (st ives specifically)

Don't think ill ever have the cash to move down there, so should i learn to love the sh*t stained grey/brown/turd p*ss riddled, drug addled, unintegrated multicultural, putrid, petrol aired, nauseating landscape that is Leicester?

(yes i have the countryside less than a mile away, and i pretend to be country folk, and its where i want to be but Leicestershire countryside, apart from maybe the vale of belvoir, leaves a lot to be desired...flat, green, landmark-less. I think the countryfile/countrytracks/greatbritishcountryside teams have been everywhere APART from Leicester, because basically there is nothing here, no peaks, no cliffs, no sea, no lakes, no downs, no chalk, no fenns, no.....)

Im not bitter...honest...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Leicestershire aint bad - I lived in Leicester for 10 years and did quite a lot of walking in the county - typically English agricultural landscape. I recommend doing the Leicestershire Round footpath (in stages as it's about 100 miles I think). I'm quite often out on the bike these days and I'll pass a spot that I remember from walking that. Under rated for cycling too.

I'm back in my native Derbyshire now - which for me is just about perfect except for the fact it lacks the sea - a coast where the border with Notts is now would be perfect - there's not much the other side of the border that'd be missed and Heanor could be a seaside resort.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    Born and brought up just north ofLiverpool. Did not realise quite how much I missed the sea until I lived in the Thames valley. Muchhappier now living on the Edge of the New Forest. I have the sea an easy ride away plus interesting countryside on my doorstep