Best velodrome in the world?

LightningTony
LightningTony Posts: 26
edited November 2012 in Track
Hi guys, I am wondering what is the best commercially successful velodrome in the world, in terms of popularity with the riders, fans, international standard racing, club use, use for non-cycling events (exhibitions etc). Anybody got any ideas please?
"I do the research so you don't have to!"
www.tonyharveytraining.com

Comments

• sgtBilko
    sgtBilko Posts: 1
    In USA, You would have to consider Boulder indoor velodrome (USA) as a track with the best bottom line. They have a unique track that I imagine makes a profit. Not many other tracks can say that.... as the rest are underwritten by other entities than the users of the facility themselves.

If planned well, the portable Vandedrome with Major League Cycling (USA) has potential to be viable - as communities can have a track for as long as they like (or as long as a season lasts) and not have the expenses of a track that is not at capacity usage.
  • Thanks SgtBilko, looks good however I can't see any evidence of international events? Could be Manchester is amongst the best in the world?
    "I do the research so you don't have to!"
    www.tonyharveytraining.com
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    When they replaced the surface of the track at Manchester a couple of years ago they said they were doing it ahead of schedule, as it had been the most heavily used velodrome in the world. Not sure that translates to cash though, as I know the velodrome nearly went bankrupt at one point too.

Just looked it up. The velodrome was resurfaced 7 years ahead of schedule! They did it with a National Lottery grant, which suggest they hadn't exactly been raking it in.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/m ... aced-8064/
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Bit of a strange question. I cannot see how any velodrome is commercially viable, I dont think any of them makes a profit.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    They're a bit similar to swimming pools, both need a big profit maker to help subsidise them, usually a fitness gym.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Graeme Obree talking to Sir Chris Hoy at the Sir Chris Hoy track Glasgow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01njwf3
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    There is only one answer and it isn't bias, I assure you. It's Manchester. Was speaking to many Americans and Aussies who came over for the world masters recently and they say that the major velodromes in the states and Australia are lacking facilities and not open at ideal times (most closing at 5pm). Manchester seems to have filled nicely due to it's location in the centre of the UK - allowing access from above and below.

Profitability, I have yet to come across a velodrome in the world that isn't requiring some kind of subsidy to keep it going - whether it be public of private subsidy.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    JSCL wrote:
    There is only one answer and it isn't bias, I assure you. It's Manchester. Was speaking to many Americans and Aussies who came over for the world masters recently and they say that the major velodromes in the states and Australia are lacking facilities and not open at ideal times (most closing at 5pm). Manchester seems to have filled nicely due to it's location in the centre of the UK - allowing access from above and below.

Profitability, I have yet to come across a velodrome in the world that isn't requiring some kind of subsidy to keep it going - whether it be public of private subsidy.
    Centre?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

Centre?

close enough?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    JSCL wrote:

Have to disagree, I would say newport is the best in UK.
    They have many more drop in sessions and are far better for newcomers, and far mopre flexible than Manchester.
    Manchester still persists in the stupid system where you have to be accredited at MAnchester to do certain training at Manchester so they are hardly that flexible. Its not just about the facility.
    Will be interesteing to see what happens when the London velodrome opens.
    There will also be competition from derby, and a little further away, Scotland.
    MAybe this will make Manchester a littl more accomodating.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    This one is similar to Newport in that there is lots of opportunity for the local communtiy and amatuer riders to get track time.

The Sir Chris Hoy Velordrome Glasgow. UCI Worldcup last weekend

IMG_1907-M.jpg

IMG_1913-M.jpg