My 1st big off

Flyingbogey
Flyingbogey Posts: 352
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
About 3 30pm going through Tooting Broadway lights (green in case you were wondering), no traffic so a young woman stepped off the pavement looking the wrong way. I hit her Hard. Me and the bike went scuttling along the thankfully smooth road. The lady was very shaken and suffered cuts to her head. I thought I'd killed her, 15st at 20ish mph. The lady has gone to hospital I ride home (after reporting to police) for some dettol on my shoulder. Also really upsetting to see a small child who'd seen the whole thing crying her heart out. Bikes a bit bent but rideable, get it checked out though.
Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Eech, nasty!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    At that speed you should have gone to the hospital too. hope you're ok though
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    I think everyone should be made to have public liability insurance. her fault youve got bent bike and your wallet will get a hammering
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    About 3 30pm going through Tooting Broadway lights (green in case you were wondering), no traffic so a young woman stepped off the pavement looking the wrong way. I hit her Hard. Me and the bike went scuttling along the thankfully smooth road. The lady was very shaken and suffered cuts to her head. I thought I'd killed her, 15st at 20ish mph. The lady has gone to hospital I ride home (after reporting to police) for some dettol on my shoulder. Also really upsetting to see a small child who'd seen the whole thing crying her heart out. Bikes a bit bent but rideable, get it checked out though.

Was the lady ok? Did you get any witnesses? I was in an accident just like this and I ended up being taken to court and a grand out of pocket. Was accused of having gone through a red light and collided with someone, despite the fact that the collision happened before the crossing and the light was green. She had witnesses who basically just lied.

Glad you're ok, but be careful of the fallout!
  • Flyingbogey
    Thanks for the heads up NSB, the last I heard she was ok but it was no glancing blow, there were witnesses and the junction is well covered with cameras. The hood on the right is bent but still works albeit scratched, the seat is a bit iffy and looks like it needs replacing, I'll see what they say at the Lbs. I should be feeling angry towards this woman but tbh I'm just concerned she's ok just now
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

ouch!

my zombi leg is from someone plowing into it. pics in the thigh thread. and i'm a fairly solidly built bloke.

watch the for cracked rims etc.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    That's dull. Glad you're ok. Good for you being concerned about the woman in spite of it being her carelessness that caused it. You are a better man than many. I hope your bike is ok and you don't end up out of pocket yourself.
    Unfortunately I suspect you'll be a bit sore in the morning.
  • cadenzaaa
    cadenzaaa Posts: 36
    (green in case you were wondering), no traffic so a young woman stepped off the pavement looking the wrong way. I hit her Hard.

Even green means proceed with caution, so if you have hit her hard surely some of the liability lies with yourself! :?:
    Apologies to anyone I may have offended with previous sig.
  • Flyingbogey
    She was looking the wrong way up the road and stepped out directly in my path. Should I slow every time I pass a ped in case they unexpectedly step into the road? Not very practical!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    This sounds very nasty! Glad you're relatively ok!

I've had a few people step out but never hit anybody, although it is their fault I dint think you can help feeling some sympathy to her!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ouch!

Get yourself checked out tomorrow, just in case.

And make a note and draw a picture of the events as they unfolded, and the aftermath.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sounds to me like you need to discuss this over beers with like minded lycra clad cycling types in say the ..... Morpeth ;-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362

Ouch. Hope all three of you aren't too bent out of shape. Don't know what it is about Tooting, but people seem to do a disproportionate amount of stupid stuff on its roads. I've been turning off at Bedford Hill and cutting out most of it, but it'd be more difficult if you are aiming for Ewell without adding to the distance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    Ouch!

Get yourself checked out tomorrow, just in case.

And make a note and draw a picture of the events as they unfolded, and the aftermath.

If you need inspiration there's some good examples over at LFGSS epic fail thread
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me about 5 years ago outside Ilford station. A (big) woman stepped out looking the other way as I crossed the green lights, I knocked her flying and knocked her out. Ambulance called, she had come round by the time it arrived and she didn't go to hospital. No witnesses. I got checked out in the ambulance as I had a large bump coming up on my right eyebrow. I ended up with a black eye and 5 stitches, and a pair of Oakley's with a smashed lens.

The woman (Eastern European) gave me a bogus address, it was also the address she gave to the medics.

Loverly shiner over Christmas and a £35 bill for new lenses in the Oakley Valves. Ho hum.
  • Flyingbogey
    She was Eastern European too, not large though! Very stiff this morning, makes you respect the pro's even more for their fortitude following crashes.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Any aches and pains this morning?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • She was Eastern European too...
    Ah! Maybe she was suffering from ' I'm not quite sure which way to look before crossing '.
    I spent last week in Geneva with work. Kept forgetting which way the traffic was coming from.
    Even on one-way streets I was looking both ways, just in case.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Thanks for the heads up NSB, the last I heard she was ok but it was no glancing blow, there were witnesses and the junction is well covered with cameras. The hood on the right is bent but still works albeit scratched, the seat is a bit iffy and looks like it needs replacing, I'll see what they say at the Lbs. I should be feeling angry towards this woman but tbh I'm just concerned she's ok just now
    My accident was a bit more serious, the pedestrian had a broken collar bone and I was concussed having flown a good 6 feet over my handlebars and landed on my head (the *first* thing the police officer asked as I was covered in blood and groggy, coming to from having blacked out, was whether I had gone through a red light, I'm still bitter about that). We actually shared an ambulance back to the hospital and the whole way she was profusely apologising for causing the accident. Then 4 months later I get a letter from her solicitors... If I were you I would look into getting the CCTV or some other evidence that you didn't run a red. Just in case.
  • Flyingbogey
    Yes, CJ, stiff and achy this am and my 2 yr old keeps poking the bandage on my shoulder bless him. NSB your treatment by that police officer is appalling, his Priorities were way off the mark. The lady in mine was being well cared for by a passing nurse I started checking over the bike then realised how callous that might have looked. I was dealt with by 2 (very pleasant) PCSO's but they couldn't actually do anything other than chat to me until the police turned up an hour later.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Flyingbogey,

Ouch! I know what you mean about the pros. When I've had nasty offs I haven't felt like cycling for a week or two. They get back on and race over the next col...

This kind of thing is scary. I've never hit a ped but when I've had a near miss it's left me a little shaken - nobody wants to hurt anyone.

You asked this:
    She was looking the wrong way up the road and stepped out directly in my path. Should I slow every time I pass a ped in case they unexpectedly step into the road? Not very practical!

To be honest, I think the answer is yes you should, if you are passing so close that a step of the kerb could cause a collision.
    If I see a ped standing at the kerb or wandering towards it, particularly if I dont think they can see me then I do the following:

cover my brakes
    ease off
    shoulder check
    move out into primary or even wider
    If it's not safe to move out then, yes, I slow.

Personally I don't think its good enough to take the attitude that it was simply the peds fault for not looking. All road users have a responsibility to think about what could happen and anticipate potential mistakes by other people - it's the who;le defensive cycling/driving thing.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time - you've got plenty of bruises as it is. My guess is when you next see a ped in that position your collision avoidance radar will be flashing red!

Cheers,
    J
  • cadenzaaa
    cadenzaaa Posts: 36
    ^^^ yep...wot that guy said!^^^
    Apologies to anyone I may have offended with previous sig.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Bad luck, FB - hope you and the pedestrian heal up soon.

Tooting High St is a Cycle Superhighway nightmare (and there's only so much that defensive riding can do). I'd try and cut out that part of the A24 if possible. Go down Franciscan Road (it runs parallel) speed bumps and all as it has only ~5% of the pedestrian numbers of Tooting High St and far fewer side roads.

I try to spend more time outside of the blue CS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY4QG0f-Xrw

(Try to spot the crossing pedestrian at 19/20 secs in)
  • Flyingbogey
    I take on board the above advice although the lady was in the central island crossing towards the tube. The traffic was held by a lorry turning left but I had enough room to pass and was on the right hand side of my lane. I have replayed it over in my head but I don't know what I could have/should have done differently. But as I said, I'm grateful for the advice.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Flyingbogey
    Origamist wrote:
    Bad luck, FB - hope you and the pedestrian heal up soon.

Tooting High St is a Cycle Superhighway nightmare (and there's only so much that defensive riding can do). I'd try and cut out that part of the A24 if possible. Go down Franciscan Road (it runs parallel) speed bumps and all as it has only ~5% of the pedestrian numbers of Tooting High St and far fewer side roads.

I try to spend more time outside of the blue CS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY4QG0f-Xrw

(Try to spot the crossing pedestrian at 19/20 secs in)
    I enjoyed your clip. I use a very similar positioning strategy along that stretch of road myself. Good speed by the way.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4