New Droppy post from Crank Bros

VWsurfbum
VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
edited March 2012 in MTB general
http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1919 ... 4241744c4/

I have a near dead Joplin, so i was interested in this email this morning. but there is a lot cheaper alternatives now. but there is also possibly better products too?

love having a droppy post, but the weight does annoy me a little, so this being 50g lighter can only be a good thing?

Thoughts?
Kazza the Tranny
Now for sale Fatty

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It's going to have be seriously good to better a Reverb.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yep, will have to go someway to displace the reverb, especially if the stealth routing takes off, such a neat way to integrate the hose.

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong but CB claim its the only infinitely adjustable mechanical post on the market... isn't the KS series of posts also packing this feature?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I genuinely don't trust any product that Crank Bros make....
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's Crank Bros so:

+ It looks quite stylish
    - It will break and injure your obvious.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    lawman wrote:
    yep, will have to go someway to displace the reverb, especially if the stealth routing takes off, such a neat way to integrate the hose.

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong but CB claim its the only infinitely adjustable mechanical post on the market... isn't the KS series of posts also packing this feature?
    Yup, X Fusion HiLo also has infinite adjustability
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    Pretty sure the reverb is ininitely adjustable as well?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    ilovedirt wrote:
    But not mechanical
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    Oh yeah, sorry I missed that bit.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • It's going to have be seriously good to better a Reverb.

Typing ''rockshox reverb problem'' into a google search yields a hell of a lot of results.

I'd deduce that the Reverb, and all other current seat posts CAN be bettered.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    cooldad wrote:
    It's Crank Bros so:

+ It looks quite stylish
    - It will break and injure your obvious.
    and thats why i like it :oops: :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Andy B wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    But not mechanical

Neither is the KS or Xfusion. They are all hydraulic. The crank bros looks fugly though. Which kind of defeats the point of anything Crank Bros.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ilovedirt
    benpinnick wrote:
    Andy B wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    But not mechanical

Neither is the KS or Xfusion. They are all hydraulic. The crank bros looks fugly though. Which kind of defeats the point of anything Crank Bros.
    The KS is mechanical, and I'm pretty sure the X-fusion is as well, not sure where you came up with that one?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • benpinnick
    ilovedirt wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    Andy B wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    But not mechanical

The KS is mechanical, and I'm pretty sure the X-fusion is as well, not sure where you came up with that one?

...and my car is human powered because I push a couple of pedals. Just because the hydraulics are actuated by a cable or lever doesn't mean it's not hydraulic.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Typing ''rockshox reverb problem'' into a google search yields a hell of a lot of results.

I'd deduce that the Reverb, and all other current seat posts CAN be bettered.

Exactly!

All the dropper seatposts have there problems. If this one is relibable then it'll be better than the Reverb - better cable placement and its lighter.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    Every little helps but not sure I'd notice 50g. The Joplin 4 that came as standard on one of my bikes is working fine, but might take a look at this if it busts.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    This is a step backwards in my eyes. Instead of making something that feels crappier to make it lighter then charging huge amounts of money, they should be working on making the current models lighter and cheaper..
  • benpinnick
    I am guessing this is why the Fox DOSS hasn't come out yet. They figure the market is full of similar function/weight/style posts, and are going all out to make the ultimate one... maybe.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    benpinnick wrote:
    I am guessing this is why the Fox DOSS hasn't come out yet. They figure the market is full of similar function/weight/style posts, and are going all out to make the ultimate one... maybe.

other than it isn't infinitely adjustable, only three position, and has frankly the most useless looking remote ever made... It is far from the ultimate, and I'm a self-confessed fox fanboy!!! the reverb is without doubt the best atm
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    The only reason I've not bought a Reverb is that the hydraulic hose will not fit in the dropper post cable routing on my bike. I would need to kable tie it onto the frame or other cables (heaven forbid). If they have addressed the reliability issues over the Joplin then I'm interested.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    KS is hydraulic btw, but mechanically actuated.

On the basis that you learn from your mistakes, the Crank Bros post should be the best in the world- there's nobody that's made more mistakes in dropper post engineering than them.

But I'll say the same thing I always say- you have to be insane to buy a new dropper post until it's been out for a while, every one of them since the gravity dropper has been beta tested on paying customers. Reverb design changed for 2012 frinstance so that the hose union'd stop breaking off. KS i900 was totally redesigned from scratch. And so on. Let someone else do the testing and then buy one after a year or two. Also don't, in general, trust reviews for comments on reliability- you need a big sample in use to really comment on reliability, internet forums are useful but a magazine that received one post and rode it for a couple of months isn't really.

There's still nothing else as reliable or as simple to maintain as the gravity dropper, but they are fugly.
    Uncompromising extremist