not sure if something is bent?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
i have had an issue with my rear wheel.the wheel has been rubbing against the break pad, so i have been adjusting the breaks but the doesn't seem to be the problem. when i stand over the rear wheel and spin it, it almost seems to wobble, i am not sure wether the wheel itself could be bent in anyway? or how this would have happened if that ws the case, but it certainly does not seem to spin straight?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    It sounds like the wheel needs 'truing'. A wheel can go out of true if you hit a pothole hard, for example.

Take the wheel in to a bike shop and they should be able to sort it out for you.
  • ianbar
    thank you, should i be able to take just the wheel and not the whole bike? my local(that i like to use) is a few miles away so would rather not have to take the whole thing!
    enigma esprit
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Just take the wheel - remove via quick release skewers!
  • ianbar
    i know that you cheeky git! lol
    enigma esprit
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Take the whole bike IMO. If the issue isn't with the wheel you're gonna have to go back there anyway.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • ianbar
    well the other half is going to pop the wheel in for me tomorrow while I'm in bed (night shifts) so if i have to take whole bike in then i will do that when i get up. hopefully they can sort it. i can only think that its the wheel in some way that is wrong, and nothing else seems to rub or catch etc apart from the breaks, so think were on the right lines.
    enigma esprit
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    If the wheel has a significant (2 or 3 mm or more) regular wobble (i.e. it's always the same part of the wheel that is nearer or further away from the brake blocks) while firmly fixed in the dropouts, then it is definitely out of true, so just take the wheel to the bike shop and get it trued. In the rather unlikely event that doesn't solve the problem, then you also have another problem, in which case take the bike to the shop to be looked at. But in any case you won't have wasted your time and money getting the wheel trued.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A quick check is to mark the distance to one stay and then flip the wheel over and see if it is the same distance or not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Now is a really good time to have a go yourself. You'll need some instructions and a spoke key. That way when you have a problem again you'll be able to fix it.
    Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svMMaGMsIMw
    There are plenty of help on google.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • ianbar
    well taken it in, just needed truing. will look at that vid though as i don't really know how to do much at all yet
    enigma esprit