Bionicon stem replacement

ste_t
ste_t Posts: 1,599
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Had my new/2nd hand Bionicon golden willow delivered today, which I think is a 2009 model. Rather than an actual stem, there is just a couple of plastic bits to attach the bars to the forks.

Will I be able to fit a normal direct mount stem instead?

The space is pretty much 4", surely direct mount stems aren't this wide are they?

If a direct mount would fit, would I need a marzocchi or boxxer fitting?

th_2012-03-05152210.jpg

th_2012-03-05151512.jpg

th_2012-03-05113640.jpg

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Why would you wanna ?
  • ste_t
    To look nicer, fit wider o/s bars, look nicer.

You still running the SS like this? Is it not a bit flexy?
  • weeksy59
    ste_t wrote:
    To look nicer, fit wider o/s bars, look nicer.

You still running the SS like this? Is it not a bit flexy?

Yup still like that, it's a little weird when over the bars the first few rides, especially for me as my vision is crap in one eye, so my bars look as though they're not straight lol.

Certainly not noticed any flex mate, although only really used it once for a day at Afan. It's not really my day to day ride.
  • ste_t
    Just for info, you can not use a normal stem with the bionicon forks. They do have 31.8 clamps available seperately though, so emailed Roger and ordered a set for £35
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    With the double clamp on the bars, even a 25.4 bar is stiffer than a 31.8 on a "normal" stem because of the much wider effective clamp area.

I'm about to do the same on my Edison so I can get a set of Havens on it..... :D
  • weeksy59
    ste_t wrote:
    Just for info, you can not use a normal stem with the bionicon forks. They do have 31.8 clamps available seperately though, so emailed Roger and ordered a set for £35

Is the correct answer... as i found out yesterday LOL

I got some wider bars but had the option to go to 31.8's with different mounts.