Track pump for car tyres

trooperk
trooperk Posts: 189
edited May 2016 in The workshop
Been using a double cylinder foot pump for bike tyres for a long time since it does the job and I never had the need for a track pump but now the pump is on its last leg so looks like a new pump time.
I fancy a track pump but I’ll also need to pump the car tyres up on the odd occasion so my question is are track pumps any good for car tyres compare to a foot pump? Need to know the speed and ease of use between them, I’m fine outside stomping on a foot pump with the car for over 10 minutes and think my back will struggle with a track pump for that long.
Hope someone here might have the answer I’m looking for and thanking you in advance.
Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.

Comments

• pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    You can do it, but it takes ages as they just don't shift enough air. I use a cigarette lighter powed pump for car tyres. Still takes a while, but you can let it get on with it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Doesn't the man at the petrol service station put air in your tyres after he has checked your oil?

I've not owned a car for a while. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    I think a track pump will be fine for car tyres. Especially as you won't be pumping all four of them up from flat everytime. I have always found the double cylinder foot pumps to take much longer to inflate car tyres than the Joe Blow track pump I have.

I even use the pump to seat the beads of motorcycle tyres I fit myself. Some frantic pumping is required to achieve this much more than required when simply inflating a tyre from flat and the track pump has been ideal for this.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, I use my Joe Blow to top up my car tyres as and when they need it.

If you were going from 0 to 30psi then it would be a pain, but a few psi every month is only a few minutes work for the whole car.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And I get my slave to do it*

*son
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I use my joe blow to top up my car tyres, have done for the last few years, seems to work fine, although it is a bit of extra exercise!
  • I've used my track pump to pump up car tyres with good results.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    I use my joe blow to top up my car tyres, have done for the last few years, seems to work fine, although it is a bit of extra exercise!

+1
    left the forum March 2023