Newbie saying hi!

tommy-leg
tommy-leg Posts: 48
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello guys!

Just thought i'd put a quick thread up to introduce myself!

My names Tom, i'm 31 and from Colchester in Essex!

Although I've been riding mountain bikes all my life, I now want to get a bit more involved and am looking to purchase my first decent bike, as long as my small budget can stretch to it!

I'm looking for a MTB that i can use on my daily commute to work, and then a bit of off-road fun in my spare time. I'd really like either a specialized hardrock or rockhopper but will consider anything!

Anyway, thats enough about me, I'm looking to make some new friends on here and a good MTB!

All the best

Tom :)

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Hi Tom,

Welcome and whats your max for the purchase of the new bike?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • tommy-leg
    Only around the £300 mark i'm afraid
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Look at decathlon, halfords for carrera
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • tommy-leg
    ok thank you
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    bizfox123 wrote:
    save up some more to get a better bike. try to get the best bike your money can buy. You won't regret

have a great day :D!
    Bollocks. Get what you can afford and enjoy riding instead of saving.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • smack148
    smack148 Posts: 37
    I got a genysis core10 last year - think 2010/2011 retails for about £400/£450 mark now. I'd seriously recommend it and I'm a really picky sort. It's been a brilliant and stable ride, always inspires confidence, right up to and including slamming it into various inanimate objects. The frame is wonderfully forgiving and comfortable on and off road. Rear stays are a thing of beauty. It's bog standard shimano running gear ,all over but it's never let me down - in fact I'd say my gearing is a lot more reliable than my cycle buddy who has "better" kit - well his was certainly more expensive. His gears crunch mine move smooth. RockShox at front, always been good. Alex Rims for hoops have proved bomb proof so far
    I've really ridden it hard on Glentress red routes - no issues. Including smacking it into the ground at speed. Straightened the handlebars, hopped back on no worries.
    only maintenance items are 4 pairs of brake pads and 2 tyres.
    only critisisim I'd have is that the paint isn't terribly hard wearing. get some tape if you get one - although I've grown fond of the battle scar look
    seriously, I love my Core. Even when I'm on my road bike I think about my how the ride would feel on my Core (sad I know). When I'm on my Core I never think about my roadie.
    Get onto ebay if the money isn't right - appreciate it's a little above what you said, but you really wont regret it.

ps. It also has eyelets on the down tube for fitting a crud guard - really helps keep you clean when commuting.
  • tommy-leg
    cool! thanks, i'll give them a look! :D