What clothing for upcoming months

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

Getting annual bonus next couple of weeks, and have an urge to splurge :lol:

I currently have some bib longs, L/S baselayer, L/S jersey and lightweight waterproof jacket. These have been fine up to now, but thoughts are now turning to warmer/drier rides (fingers crossed). So what do I need :?:

Thinking of.........
Bib shorts and leg warmers :?:
Short sleeve jersey/tops and arm warmers :?:
Gillet :?:

Any other must haves or suggestions :?:

Thanks

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm liking the combo of gillet and windproof shell at the moment; I commute and you may find it a bit warm on a longer / harder day out.
  • essjaydee
    I'm mainly wanting items for longer (50 mile+) club rides, from 0 to +10 degrees, typically now through to summertime :wink:
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I'd say:

Bib shorts, SS jersey, arm warmers, knee warmers and a windproof gilet. WIth that combination you should be fine for most of spring/summer/autumn.
  • essjaydee
    Kinda what I was thinking....thanks :)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Nickel wrote:
    I'd say:

Bib shorts, SS jersey, arm warmers, knee warmers and a windproof gilet. WIth that combination you should be fine for most of spring/summer/autumn.

I add a long sleeve baselayer for temps at the moment but that's what I wear at this time of year through to winter when I swap to tight's or roubaix legwarmers too.
  • I've never bothered with arm warmers. I usually wear at least one base layer even in the summer apart from the hottest of days.

If it's a decent wicking layer it'll do it's job. A sleeveless one for those days with a little wind just to protect your chest and a long sleeve one for your whole upper body. I usually find if you need arm warmers then it's usually cold enough to need to have a little chest protection. But everyones's different and has their own preferences.

As for jerseys check out http://www.zelojersey.co.uk I bought the tetris one a few weeks back but haven't been able to wear it in it's full glory due to the weather until the last few days. Got loads of compliments from random people on the street. :)
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Not sure about the up coming months, but i just got my legs out for the first time this year YIPEE :!:
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As you're in Blackpool, I would suggest that as the wind never ceases on the Fylde, warm and windproofs are essential :-) I occasionally ride around the Trough of Bowland in summer and end up taking numerous layers. I would look as the slightly thicker thermal bib shorts from DHB, Northwave, Castelli, Santini for example, rather than lightweight 'summer' lycra. They are far more versatile and with a pair of leg and knee-warmers, suitable for 3 seasons. including most of a typical British summer. Likewise, a short-sleeve jersey, armwarmers and gilet will sort you out on top
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I've never bothered with arm warmers. I usually wear at least one base layer even in the summer apart from the hottest of days.

If it's a decent wicking layer it'll do it's job. A sleeveless one for those days with a little wind just to protect your chest and a long sleeve one for your whole upper body. I usually find if you need arm warmers then it's usually cold enough to need to have a little chest protection. But everyones's different and has their own preferences.

As for jerseys check out http://www.zelojersey.co.uk I bought the tetris one a few weeks back but haven't been able to wear it in it's full glory due to the weather until the last few days. Got loads of compliments from random people on the street. :)

For chest protection against wind the gilet does the trick, not layering up with base layers which mostly aren't windproof and for me would just boil me to death and slow me down.
  • essjaydee
    Thanks for all the replies :)

Helpful advice as always on this ere forum 8)
  • essjaydee
    Gone for some DHB pace roubaix bibshorts, as I wanted that bit extra warmth and wind protection :wink:
    Got some arm & leg warmers now, and just ordered a windproof gillet from the club along with L/S & S/S shirts for warmer times :)

Gone for as much versatility as possible with a minimal amount of clothing (if that makes sense :!: )

Thanks again for replies :)
  • Excessive "Smilley" usage!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Something windproof, something waterproof