Just before I go for it....

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 465
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

After loving learning to use my Hardtail (GT Avalanche 2.0) I'm going to go for it and buy a nice full susser. I have pretty much decided after lots of looking to go for a Trek Fuel EX8, as I like the look of them, they have a good spec for the price and they are sturdy (I'm a big 18 stone lump). So I cant go for a lightweight bike which wont cope with my size, but just before I commit, just wondering if I may have overlooked a better option for the money. There are a million options out there I appreciate, so lloking for you guys to narrow down some alternatives if there are any.

So any alternative needs to be:

Strong
within the same sort of budget

Cheers

Dan
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Have you ridden the Trek?

Do you like it?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bails +1

Lose some weight too, probably make a bigger difference to your enjoyment than a new bike!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    njee20 wrote:
    Bails +1

Lose some weight too, probably make a bigger difference to your enjoyment than a new bike!
    may not be so easy if he's the green guy in his avatar :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I have had a short blast on one, and like it, got one booked out for a weekend on a demo in 2 weeks to try over 15 miles or so of trail centre. Fair point re the weight thing - thats one of the reasons I got into this last year, but I'm a big guy anyway and I'm never going to be much less than 15 / 16 stone. reasons for going full suspension, when on somewhere like Cannock Chase, I'm going slower thatn I want to, to stop the bike shaking out from under my body as the trail is so beat up, hoping on a FS I can give it more stick.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Bails +1

this, but I'm not normally green, however, I still have plenty of cargo round the midriff that I am looking to burn!! :oops:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Bails +1

this, but I'm not normally green, however, I still have plenty of cargo round the midriff that I am looking to burn!! :oops:
    it was your post on calves "hard to get wellies to fit" that gave it away :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Just be sure to have a proper demo on it, as you've got planned, and if you don't like it then be honest and look for something else. But if you do, then go for it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • chez_m356
    bails87 wrote:
    Just be sure to have a proper demo on it, as you've got planned, and if you don't like it then be honest and look for something else. But if you do, then go for it.
    +1, always best, you must have thought it was for you for a reason, if you start umming and arring now, you'll end up stuck in limbo for ages
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    +1, always best, you must have thought it was for you for a reason, if you start umming and arring now, you'll end up stuck in limbo for ages

Yeah, I guess I am always terrified of thinking a month after i get it, I should have bought a xxxxx as they have better xxxxx or are better value for money. I'm the type who researches everything to death, but as a relative newcomer to this MTB lark, I am more than happy to listen to the advice of others!!

In many ways, there si just too much choice - do a search of full suss bikes on Evans / Chain Reaction / wiggle between £2000 and £2350, its ridiculous there is so much choice
  • have you looked at the likes of the Giant Trance. I have just brought a 2009 X3 and its a fantastic bike, ride round cannock every weekend. 120mm travel is more than enough. Although they are light bikes they could easily handle your weight.

Here is an X1 2012 with similar spec. i appreciate it may be at the top of your budget but just thought i'd share my opinion.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... &vid=12566
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Yeah, I guess I am always terrified of thinking a month after i get it, I should have bought a xxxxx as they have better xxxxx or are better value for money.

Buyers remorse, you can't really avoid it. I still get that 2 years after buying my enduro, I keep thinking I should have gone for this or that but then I just get out for a blast on the enduro and remember why I bought it in the first place.

Let your mind narrow down your selection then make the final decision with your heart. Sounds like you're set on the trek and that is one of the bikes I keep thinking I should have bought. Go for this test ride and if you still love it then buy it and try not to look back.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • I bought an EX8 in October last year, absolutely love it. It'll be under my arse for a good while.

Whatever you buy, dont beat yourself up just get out on it and enjoy. :)
  • Who was I kidding, bought an EX8 this morning. Very very excited!