What colour tyres?

amc
amc Posts: 315
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Is there an etiquette on what colour tyres one should use?
I know it's not important but.......just ordered new bike which is predominantly black, with a bit of white and blue. Club jersey is red. Wheels will be black. Plain black tyres to keep it simple, or try and match up the white or dark blue - or even the club jersey????

See pic here of similar bike here http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=storck ... 29,r:9,s:0
amc

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Well the best tyres are Conti GP4000s and they're only available in black. So it looks like it'll have to be black. You could paint them though.
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    NICE BIKE.
    Got a Storck myself, predominantly Black with Silver writing. I always used the Conti black tyre and recently changed to Schwalbe Ultremo with a Silver stripe and I've got to say it definitely pimped the bike. White seems to be the colour of choice at the moment and I would plump for the white striped Ultremo. You could also opt for the blue stripe but I don't think you'd notice the colour contrast quite as much.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    Got white ones on my Bianchi (which it came with) which has a similar colour scheme and they do look bloody awesome.

Ab5XfwfCIAAu_HH.jpg
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • amc
    Thank you StorckSpeed. I've read the reviews of the Ultremo and was tempted anyway. Not seen them in the flesh - would you say white or silver would look better on the Storck.
    Charliew the all-white ones do look great.
    amc
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Black tyres will always look black. Any other colour (with the exception of dark grey) will quickly look grubby. White tyres? No, never.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    Black tyres will always look black. Any other colour (with the exception of dark grey) will quickly look grubby. White tyres? No, never.

+1 Get black tyres, looks classy and coloured ones are impossible to keep clean.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    amc wrote:
    Thank you StorckSpeed. I've read the reviews of the Ultremo and was tempted anyway. Not seen them in the flesh - would you say white or silver would look better on the Storck.
    Charliew the all-white ones do look great.
    How do you find the Scenero amc? Thought about one last year, they look great.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Wiping down coloured tyres (my only experience is Conti GP300/4000) with a damp jay cloth after each ride keeps them plenty tidy ... and tbh it also helps wipe off any oils etc that might cause probs ... I had blue tyres on my prev. Bike and they always looked good (especially in the rain) ... Only reason I don't have white tyres on my current bike is tnat I had spare 4000s' lying around when i needed to replace them so no point wasting £50 ...

Plus I keep my road bike in the spare room so cleaning the tyres is just a given ...
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    black.
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    Worth mentioning that colour tyres have less grip than black tyres for any given compound. Schwalbe even say this about their own ranges..

"Colored rubber compounds are good, but black ones are better. For the very best performance in grip and durability choose black."
  • You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Gentlemen, there are rules about this sort of thing. Can't have people putting any old random combination of colours on their bike!

Rule 8 refers http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Regards,

EarlyGo
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I have Ultremo white stripe, look great and clean up with a damp cloth to look like new, good way to check the tyre anyway, plus I keep my bike in the lounge!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    black

it's the law
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Black.

But perhaps everyone needs to go through a coloured tyre stage before realising why black is best. Otherwise you'll always be wondering... But really, black tyres are best. Coloured tyres usually look naff when they are clean and new, and always when they are old, dirty and/or faded...

For some reason titanium frames can sometimes look good with coloured tyres if carefully matched to other subtle accents, but in most situations it just detracts from rather than compliments the other colouring on the bike.
  • amc
    giant man wrote:

Not got it yet Giant Man - due to come in a fortnight but as you can probably tell by my planning of tyre colours i'm a bit over overexcited .

I see the general conscenus, unwritten code, "law" even in black but must admit the white stripe is quite temping. Can i break the law on a new shinny bike?
    amc
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    sungod wrote:
    black

it's the law

+1

Like computers have to be beige/grey very very big and not made by companies named after fruit! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    whatever you like...my training bike is red with blue wheels and odd tyres...I treat it like crap and it keeps on working...Your bike can't look worse than that. so enjoy.
  • squibnocket
    squibnocket Posts: 207
    I've heard about a 'guy' on this forum who knows about another 'guy' who makes the best decals in the UK. PM him he'll give you all the details you need to get some for your tyres :lol:
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    i have blue tyres on my beast,it matches the highlight on my seat, at first I did not really like my choice but now love it
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    amc wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Not got it yet Giant Man - due to come in a fortnight but as you can probably tell by my planning of tyre colours i'm a bit over overexcited .

I see the general conscenus, unwritten code, "law" even in black but must admit the white stripe is quite temping. Can i break the law on a new shinny bike?
    I wouldn't worry about tyre colour if i were you, you buy what goes best to match you bike imo. Of course a white stripe won't stay white very long, but I'm sure you know that!

Personally I would go with the blue, as I have done with most of my blue bikes, but everyone's different ...
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    With a bike the colour of yours, I would advise going for black.
    White is also an option but they come with some problems.
    They look nice for a bit, but after a few long distance rides on them, they will eventually get dirt pushed into them that is pretty much impossible to get out.
    This will make them a light browny colour. ICK! Not nice!

Id go for black 9/10 times with a bike like yours 8)
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • amc
    Thank you everyone. It seems the consensus is for black and normally i'd roll with that but on this one occasion just to coincide with a very shinny new (as yet undelivered) bike i'm going for the white stripe Ultremo, which when it gets mucky can be the winter race tyres. After that i'll obey the law and stick to black.
    amc
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    liquor box wrote:
    i have blue tyres on my beast,it matches the highlight on my seat, at first I did not really like my choice but now love it

+1

8)