Help needed planning route (Lothians/Fife)

PolyphonicBoy
PolyphonicBoy Posts: 68
edited March 2012 in Tour & expedition
Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong sub-forum. I'm planning a cycle from Penicuik, Midlothian over to Gleneagles next weekend, and it's the first time I've cycled over to the Forth Road Bridge. Can anyone advise on the best way to get to the bridge on bike from south of Edinburgh?

Mapmyride has came up with this... but I'm not sure that's the best way.

Many thanks.

Comments

• DavidCr
    DavidCr Posts: 44
    I am definately no expert but the route looks okay to me. In the autumn I rode from Midlothian across to the west coast and used part of that route as far as the A70. It can be a bit slow getting through the built up area but I don't think there is any option.
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    If you get onto the NCN route North it is well signposted. If using roads, follow route for Forth Road Bridge which is also well signposted. Hope this assists.
    Pedaling spans generations.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Hi, I live and cycle all round the Gleneagles area and cycle into Edinburgh as my commute.

For the bridge get yourself out to South Queensferry, come thorugh Morningside, out to Corsortphine and then Crammond Brigg where you can pick up NCN1 over the bridge, follow this through Inverkiething to Dunfermline then either stick with NCN1 till you get to Cleish, or pick out the A823 which goes right past Gleneagles front door ; or from Cliesh head for Muckhart and the Gleneagles via A823 at that point.

It is a great route but you can also pick up the NCN76 in Dunfermline to which will keep you off the roads if you prefer, PM me for more info if you want. Sorry but not so good with the map making websites.

http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/1708792/ try this one.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    My suggestion :
    I'd take a left between 11 and 12, after Hunter's Tryst, to turn onto the B701, Redford Road and then continue through Colinton Village, up Gillespie Road, down Wester Hailes Road.
    Continue to the Gyle and turn left at Gyle roundabout - there is a path heading East, then get onto Lochend Road (North side of the A8 Glasgow Road) taking you into Kirkliston.
    I've done that route - gone from Gyle to Crieff and once across the bridge it is pretty lumpy and slow going, I went North Queensferry, Rosyth, Dunfermline, A823 towards Knockhill and Yetts O' Muckhart.
    Hilly stuff !
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I stay in Cramond and have cycled up that way many times. Here is the route http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/73486694 pm me if you casn't see it

The Mapmyride route you have takes you through the Army HQ....they might have something to say about that! Once you get out the back of Dunfermline it's a really nice ride (some hard work but worth it). You finish off with a great downhill, pretty straight and open so 40mph should be easily achievable :twisted:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • thecrofter
    From Penicuik to the bridge I'd cycle into Fairmilehead then turn left at the lights down to the mini roundabout at the supermarket (is it still Asda or Morrisons at Hunter's Tryst) then left along past Dreghorn Barracks. Left again down through Colinton, over Gillespie xroads down past Wester Hailes(quickly!) right at the roundabout on Calder Road, left at the next roundabout, straight on past Forester School, past Tesco. Straight over the roundabout, over Drum Brae. Left onto the Queensferry Road and then follow my map :D:D:D:D
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    thecrofter wrote:
    From Penicuik to the bridge I'd cycle into Fairmilehead then turn left at the lights down to the mini roundabout at the supermarket (is it still Asda or Morrisons at Hunter's Tryst) then left along past Dreghorn Barracks. Left again down through Colinton, over Gillespie xroads down past Wester Hailes(quickly!) right at the roundabout on Calder Road, left at the next roundabout, straight on past Forester School, past Tesco. Straight over the roundabout, over Drum Brae. Left onto the Queensferry Road and then follow my map :D:D:D:D

The Hillend to Sighthill section includes a major part of my commute so I know it well (it's a Morrisons supermarket at Hunter's Tryst), at the weekend the traffic shouldn't be too bad - one slight issue is that for a few weeks the Gillespie Road has roadworks which mean that the N'th bound side is diverted but I'm sneaking through the roadworks and it's actually nice to not have traffic wanting to get past you towards the lights at the Lanark Road x-roads.
  • Thanks for your help guys. Looking forward to the ride tomorrow. Hopefully this wind will die down!
  • thecrofter
    Hopefully this wind will die down!

It might be worth checking before you leave, that the bridge will be open for cyclists. They do sometimes close it.

http://trafficscotland.org/

I'm going out that way myself tomorrow for a run, should be back home by 9am though so I doubt I'll see you
  • Hey. Just to say I had a fantastic weekend, with some great cycling. I followed thecrofter's route out of Edinburgh, and then the A823 right up to Auchterarder. Pretty damn hilly and very windy in places, but made it up there in 3hr 11mins, and back in 3hrs 5mins. The route ended up being roughly 48 miles.

We stayed the night at Duchally Country Estate (which I thoroughly recommend) and had afternoon tea at Gleneagles, which is an experience in itself.

Thanks again for the advice.
  • thecrofter
    We've stayed at Duchally a couple of times, I concur with the recommendation :D