Wheels, QR, 26, 6 bolt, sealed bearings, recommendations wan

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
MAte of mine is not having much luck with wheels and bearings so wants a new rear.

Ideally wants QR, 26, 6 bolt, sealed bearings, tubes, 9 speed and on a sub £100 budget.

What's his best plan ?

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Save up a bit more.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what you mean by luck.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    cooldad wrote:

It's fairly irrelevent in the context of the thread isn't it ?

The luck/unlucky side of things is that he seems to go through hubs every 6 months for no apparent reason. When our wheel guy has tried to sort them out, they're on the wrong side of knackered. So decided a sealed bearing wheel with easy replacement would be the plan of action
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    weeksy59 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

The luck/unlucky side of things is that he seems to go through hubs every 6 months for no apparent reason. When our wheel guy has tried to sort them out, they're on the wrong side of knackered. So decided a sealed bearing wheel with easy replacement would be the plan of action
    I think cooldad means is it bad luck, or does he just not look after them properly. Wheels, even cup and cone, should last years if looked after.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I think cooldad means is it bad luck, or does he just not look after them properly. Wheels, even cup and cone, should last years if looked after.

He's not mechanically minded or indeed mechanically sympathetic. Any gestures from him towards the bike with a spanner are met by the words "where do you think you're going with that" from me.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So what's actually wrong with the current hubs?

Would a rebuild not sort it? Must be cheaper than new wheels.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • weeksy59
    bails87 wrote:

Sadly i can't answer that one mate. My other buddy who's our mechanical expert says they're fooked... but i don't know the full details.
  • bails87
    weeksy59 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Sadly i can't answer that one mate. My other buddy who's our mechanical expert says they're fooked... but i don't know the full details.
    Ok, I'm just thinking that £100 isn't going to get a great set of wheels. And if what he's got now is half decent he might be better off repairing what he's got.
    MTB/CX

• weeksy59
    Budget of £100 is just for the rear.

On-one have a set for £130 though which are apparently sealed bearings so may be worth considering.
  • weeksy59
    bails87 wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Ok, I'm just thinking that £100 isn't going to get a great set of wheels. And if what he's got now is half decent he might be better off repairing what he's got.

His current ones are the Alex rims on Shimano hubs that came on his 2008 (bought in 2010) Stumpy FSR
  • bails87
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Budget of £100 is just for the rear.

On-one have a set for £130 though which are apparently sealed bearings so may be worth considering.

Oops, missed that!

And I've got the On One set (Max 32H?), they're still going fine after about 400 miles in 9 months.
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most bearings are sealed - do you mean cartridge bearings? A cheap set of cartridge bearings may cause more grief than a cheap set of cup and cone, but you can replace them for better units.
  • weeksy59
    supersonic wrote:
    Most bearings are sealed - do you mean cartridge bearings? A cheap set of cartridge bearings may cause more grief than a cheap set of cup and cone, but you can replace them for better units.

Sorry, yes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:

Which is true, but if cup and cone are causing problems, he'll have the same issues trying to replace farked cartridge bearings.

weeksy59 wrote:
    He's not mechanically minded or indeed mechanically sympathetic. Any gestures from him towards the bike with a spanner are met by the words "where do you think you're going with that" from me.

Maybe you should stop acting like mommy and let him learn.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • weeksy59
    cooldad wrote:
    Maybe you should stop acting like mommy and let him learn.

He's a mate and a godparent to my son. Why would i leave him in the lurch and unable to ride his bike ?

This weekend he's coming over to have his gear cables swapped out.... i don't much care if he learns anything, he's a mate.
  • supersonic
    The cheapest decentish set I can find are at Superstar, but are £130.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    5 or 10 quid over budget will get a superstar switch EVO rear hub, sapim db spokes, and a superstar rim xc/am ect. Assuming basic black colour scheme.
  • weeksy59
    supersonic wrote:
    The cheapest decentish set I can find are at Superstar, but are £130.

That's viable for the pair, XCX ?
  • supersonic
    Yep, these:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=536

Crossrides are available for the same money though, but parts can be harder to get.
  • bails87
    He could get an individual rear wheel on the custom wheelbuilder for about £100. Value-wise, it's possibly better to get the (unneeded) front too, for another ~£30.
    MTB/CX