Finally got me a road bike...and love it!

ahstueyman
ahstueyman Posts: 76
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Just a post to allow some of my enthusiasm to spill over, after years of mountain biking, then a year out, then 4 months on a bodged/budget flat bar road/cyclocross style bike I finally got myself a second hand road bike, a Trek 1200 in perfect working condition from my local bike shop for £280. Took it for its first ride yesterday, and I love it! I literally couldnt beleive how much easier it is for going uphill and how it flew on downhills. I did a 17 mile ride in 1hr 10, probably a good 30 minutes faster than on my old bike.

The key now is to get out on my bike as much as possible in preperation for a sportive later in the year. Going to give a 20-30 miler a go this weekend too and see how i get on.

Comments

• notlongnow
    notlongnow Posts: 176
    Im a recent mtb to road bike convert and like you are loving the extra speed and im knocking loads of minutes off regular routes and increased my speed average too,I still use my mtb when the weathers crap. :D
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Glad your enjoying it :D

Hope your wallet (and other half) will be able to support your new found addiction :wink:
  • looe
    looe Posts: 12
    I have a Trek 1200SL as well and it is a very good bike. Lightweight and responsive. Was looking to buy a carbon bike but the weight gain is only 1 kilo........... so I keep my old 1200
    CUBE Touring 2010
    Trek 1200
  • Glad to here others enjoying it, I think for £280 quid a bike with such a light frame and carbon forks is a bargain. Out of curiosity though, what would be the best thing first of all to upgrade? Wheels? Groupset? At the moment i dont think i'll be changing much but i was just wondering if this bike has a good frame and fork what upgrades would be more beneficial ...
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Just ride it and get some miles on it :!:

I wouldn't bother pouring money into it, if it all works fine as is.

Chances are, when the bug really bites, you'll be looking at buying a new bike anyway, so save your pennies for now.
  • Tyres would be the one and only thing I'd bother looking at in terms of immediate upgrades, depending on what it's running on now of course.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    > Just ride it and get some miles on it

Agreed.

I bought my nephew a used Trek and did it up for under 100 quid all in! Converted him from his mountain bike and made him into a raving lunatic who does a 20 mile loop after work :-)

Don't spend much other than tyres. Save up for something really nice next year, spend around a grand on a used bike than cost double that new and make sure it's got nice light wheels. Then sell yours to the next victim / new cyclist!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Its great the difference in speed you feel just after switching from a mtb to a road bike 8)
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    ahstueyman - congratulations, and no surprises buy your instant love,,, group riding next, then cycle mag addiction, and a continual drain on the bank account for upgrades and kit. welcome to my world :)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • aha! the magazine addiction has already began, unfortunately I work 9-6 monday to friday and play football tuesdays and saturdays and a missus, so riding is fairly limited to sunday blasts, however clocks soon to change and after this football season finishes I dont know if i'll be commiting myself for next season, as the week passes by I just look forward to the weekend to get out on my bike, nothing else!

PS. no game this saturday, saturday and sunday rides :)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    > however clocks soon to change

Nice lights are what you need, cycling in the dark is fun :-) I do 20 miles after work on unlit country roads and I love it. Get youself a pair of Cree XML-T6 LED torches on ebay, they're not dear and are fantastically bright.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!