Yet another what fork?

TheNorthernTrain
TheNorthernTrain Posts: 1,049
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Basically looking to do up my old hardtail, it previously had 75mm suntour forks on which were terrible and are now defunct. I'm not putting rigid forks on it cos my dad wants to use it for gentle rides and therefore would appreciate some suspension and I fancy it as a bit of a project as it already has several new parts as a result of various crashes bending certain parts but hasn't been ridden since they were put on, therefore want to make some use of them.

The bike is http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dia ... 9#features

Looking to spend a max of £150 but preferably nearer the £100 mark. I was looking at having 100mm of travel and eventually upgrading the frame, but would the original frame cope with 100mm of travel or is it safer to settle for 80mm?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRETK/ro ... th_lockout Have been looking at these. Are they any good? Obviously if the frame won't cope with 100mm then it's back to the drawing board.
MmmBop

Go big or go home.

Comments

• Get yourself a pair of Fox Alps mate :D
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12839451

Seriously, I looked at the same rockshocks as you and they look a good deal. No idea if they are reduced for a reason though!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Recons are a good deal, know a few people who've upgraded from Suntours etc and they reckon they are much better.
    Not sure if the extra travel will make much difference - ideally you need to look at crown to dropout length, but if your dad is going to use it for gentle rides, I doubt it will break the frame or anything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Get yourself a pair of Fox Alps mate :D
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12839451

Seriously, I looked at the same rockshocks as you and they look a good deal. No idea if they are reduced for a reason though!
    there a good fork, ive never seen them for more than £125, which is what i paid, and that was a good 18 months ago
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011