Mudguards

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

be gentle, noobie here.

I will soon be taking up cycling, with the aim of hopefully cycling the 18 miles to work maybe once or twice a week during the summer.

I've decided on a Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp 2011/2012 from halfords. I'm currently building my shopping list and am looking for mudguards at the moment. I noticed that halfords have a package deal that includes the Crud Racer Mk2 mudguards - but the specs for this bike state that the tyre size is 700x28c. I've read on other internet forums that fitting the crud rarcer mk2's to this size of tyre could be a problem.

Anyone on here have this bike, with these mudguards ? If not, would I be better off with the SKS P45's?

Don't suppose the bike having disc brakes affects which mudguards I can use either ?

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you have the mounting points then get the SKS P35s rather than the P45s. Bit fiddly to fit (you'll need a junior hacksaw) but once they are on they are great.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Welcome!

Good stuff for getting on the bike.

No idea about mudguards, but welcome anyway!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    They'll probably be ok. That said I run them with 23s in the winter. They most definitely come OFF in the summer. Consider gluing the plastic screws in place. You'll be shedding bits of guard otherwise.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    They'll probably be ok. That said I run them with 23s in the winter. They most definitely come OFF in the summer. Consider gluing the plastic screws in place. You'll be shedding bits of guard otherwise.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I leave the Cruds on all year round. It still rains a fair bit in the summer and mostly the Cruds are no bother at all. I do stick to 23mm tyres on my bike though. I've not had to glue the screws either.

I'd assume they would fit 28s if Halfords sell them as a package with the bike. The limitation is only down to the clearance between the tyre and brakes so if that is big enough, then they should fit.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for the replies.

Think I`ll give the crud's a try - I guess I can always take them back if they don't fit.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'd assume they would fit 28s if Halfords sell them as a package with the bike. The limitation is only down to the clearance between the tyre and brakes so if that is big enough, then they should fit.

Surely the limitation is tyre width, as the guards wrap down around the tyre where the stay is. I don't think they will fit a 28c tyre.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    And unfortunately Halfords selling them as a package is no indication whatsoever that they will fit.....

SKS chromoplastics are the canary's tusks if you can fit them. Do the forks have eyelets?

Oh, and welcome!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pangolin wrote:
    Surely the limitation is tyre width, as the guards wrap down around the tyre where the stay is. I don't think they will fit a 28c tyre.

D'oh! You have a point! I'm tempted to try an experiment but even if it does work, it would be very tight probably to the point of being annoying!
    SimonAH wrote:
    SKS chromoplastics are the canary's tusks if you can fit them. Do the forks have eyelets?

TBH, I reckon SKS would be a lot more satisfactory if the rear brake bridge mount wasn't such a badly designed, poor quality, inadequate object. Otherwise they are OK I admit!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Boardman hybrid has discs doesn't it?

So you might not be able to fit the Crud RRs, because the top point of the guards zip tie around the caliper brake mounting bolt. No rim brakes = nothing to attach them to.

I've got SKS Blumels on my disc braked Boardman CX, they work, not much else to say about them!

Have you definitely got the bike btw, are you sure you want flat bars for a 36 mile round trip?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The crud racers won't fit 28mm tyres. I tried, and failed :(.

I ended up getting some SKS Raceblades XL which are just the job for 28mms.

They're not good as the crud's but they do fit - and they come in silver if you're a little tarty.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    bails87 wrote:
    Have you definitely got the bike btw, are you sure you want flat bars for a 36 mile round trip?
    Well said that man! We really are being gentle in this new age of DDD inspired niceness.

Flat bars! Hybrid! Pah!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Haha! (settles back with a cup of coffe to watch the show)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    bails87 wrote:
    Boardman hybrid has discs doesn't it?

So you might not be able to fit the Crud RRs, because the top point of the guards zip tie around the caliper brake mounting bolt. No rim brakes = nothing to attach them to.
    It's got discs, but the fork crown and seatstay bridge are both drilled for a calliper brake mounting bolt (at least on the Comp model). If you need to zip-tie something to it, you can put a bolt through even if there's no brake attached. Also the rear brake is mounted on the seatstay, so it doesn't get in the way of the rear mudguard or rack mountings.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Well said that man! We really are being gentle in this new age of DDD inspired niceness.

Flat bars! Hybrid! Pah!

true though finding a drop bar bike with discs at that price?

@dee4life2005 on the whole for road work drops suit most of the people most of the time. in that they tend to be more comfortable for longer trips mainly as you can move your hands about more.

this said at that price you'd have to compromise from better brakes to probably better bars, and that is a good hybrid.

But if your like most folks if you get the cycling bug you'll find that any longer rides end up with stiff shoulders etc, due to the flat bar.

Off road doesn't matter as your shifting around a lot anyway so it's much less of a issue, I can spend hours on the MTB off road but on road being static will get stiff.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Flat bars! Hybrid! Pah!

@dee4life2005 on the whole for road work drops suit most of the people most of the time. in that they tend to be more comfortable for longer trips mainly as you can move your hands about more.

this said at that price you'd have to compromise from better brakes to probably better bars, and that is a good hybrid.

But if your like most folks if you get the cycling bug you'll find that any longer rides end up with stiff shoulders etc, due to the flat bar.

Off road doesn't matter as your shifting around a lot anyway so it's much less of a issue, I can spend hours on the MTB off road but on road being static will get stiff.

Oi, Roger! We're not allowed to say that sort of thing any more!! Stop it.

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    True on the price, I thought the Hybrid Comp was more expensive, somewhere around £700, which would put it within reach of the CX, if you use the discount codes that are available.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I've read on other internet forums that fitting the crud rarcer mk2's to this size of tyre could be a problem.
    Asprilla wrote:
    If you have the mounting points then get the SKS P35s rather than the P45s. Bit fiddly to fit (you'll need a junior hacksaw) but once they are on they are great.

I can't comment on the crud racers, but I'd second Asprilla in saying that you should get the SKS chromoplastic P35s rather than the P45s. The chromoplastics have a fairly flat profile and don't wrap around the side of the tyre so I reckon you can get away with one that's only slightly wider than the tyre. To put it in context, I'm running 32mm tyres and I'just bought a pair of P45s, I got halfway through fitting them and realised that they looked stupidly wide so I'll probably get some P35s.

If anyone wants a pair of P45s PM me.
  • I don't have the bike yet - waiting for my vouchers through the post first, as we have an employee discount scheme which gets us 10% discount when ordering vouchers - plus, I see there is a 10% discount voucher code for Halfords - happy days.

I had a quick shot on a colleagues drop-bar road bike the other day, and didn't like it much - possibly because I was used to a flat-bar from years ago, so the position seemed a bit alien. If I do get "the bug" and get back into cycling in a big way then I will probably give a drop-bar more serious consideration.

As for the mudguards, I've changed my mind again - :lol: - and think I`ll get the SKS P35's.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Doing 36 miles regularly on a flat barred bike may be enough to put you off getting the bug. I hope not though.

• roger_merriman
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Doing 36 miles regularly on a flat barred bike may be enough to put you off getting the bug. I hope not though.

is two separate trips though so, 1hr 30 say each?

probably not that bad, I used to use my old MTB with slicks was okay on 40/50 miles though did start to get stiff, no problems off road by way.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I've only JUST managed to get cruds on my disc braked carrera gryphon with 28s. On previous bike I had a 25 on the front and 28 rear. The fit of the rear and front must be slightly different, cos it's a tighter fit on the front 28. Hadn't been able to tell when I had a 25.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Asprilla wrote:
    How so the P35s ? Is that the bigest thing that will fit ?
    If the wider mudguards fit, then there's a wider choice of tyres. And narrower mudguards won't protect rider + bike any better.

Is the hacksaw for trimming the stays ? I use a good cable cutter, but a hacksaw will work too.

They go up to 65mm, but that would be too big.
    http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=de&a=prod ... 6208801430
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Flat bars! Hybrid! Pah!

Oi, Roger! We're not allowed to say that sort of thing any more!! Stop it.

No, you can. You just can't take photos of it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If you're determined to have a flat bar, at least get some bar ends. It'll give you an option for longer trips.

You will end up on a drop bar bike though.... Oh, yes. You will....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    If you're determined to have a flat bar, at least get some bar ends. It'll give you an option for longer trips.

or not! I've never got on with bar ends.
    You will end up on a drop bar bike though.... Oh, yes. You will....

very probably but since a disk equipped road/CX is twice the price etc.

And yes well picking up of stiff you two! ;-)
  • I can't comment on the crud racers, but I'd second Asprilla in saying that you should get the SKS chromoplastic P35s rather than the P45s. The chromoplastics have a fairly flat profile and don't wrap around the side of the tyre so I reckon you can get away with one that's only slightly wider than the tyre. To put it in context, I'm running 32mm tyres and I'just bought a pair of P45s, I got halfway through fitting them and realised that they looked stupidly wide so I'll probably get some P35s.

Just to let you know, this is a duff bit of information. The P45s do have a fairly flat "arc"-shaped profile, but the P35s (which I've just got) are much more "U"-shaped so they will wrap around the sides of the tyre a bit more. They should still fit 28s but the fitting will have to be more precise. The P45s may also give you a bit more protection from the extra width so jev was correct in writing...
    jejv wrote:
    How so the P35s ? Is that the bigest thing that will fit ?
    If the wider mudguards fit, then there's a wider choice of tyres. And narrower mudguards won't protect rider + bike any better

Apologies for the bum steer.
  • thanks for the update re the P35's.