Do i need new wheels?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm pretty sure I do, don't I ...?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,988
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I do, don't I ...?
    There's no way of knowing unless you buy some. That way, if you don't, you will simply have to stop using an older set.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Number of wheels needed = (n+1)* 2.

Your current set is always about to pop a spoke, wear out in the rim, crack at the spoke holes, go a bit wobbly.

Buy them.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    possibly the single most stupid question ever right up there with do i need a new bike

the answer of course YES!! once the thought has arrived the need is established now where is the face plant icon :lol:
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Nik Cube
    some zipps would be a good shout - behind the bike sheds have some of last years 303's on offer
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Wheels definitely. But you'll need something to store them in. Perhaps some sort of metal or maybe carbon fibre frame...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's quite easy- just do like I did yesterday!

P1100884b.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yes. You haven't got a carbon wheelset.

And those Mavics antlaff was looking at are sur-weeet!

And Ambrosios never look out of place in a bike cave.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Right some context

I have plenty of bikes and wheels, none of which are expensive by MAMIL standards, good none the less but not expensive, see;

Campag Vento
    Fulcrum 7
    Planet-X model B
    Planet-X model C
    Shimano R500
    Mavic Aksium
    Mavic Alsium rim + Planet-X hub (handbuilt) rear
    Mavic Open Pro (handbuilt) rear
    Mavic Open Pro Ceramic (handbuilt) front
    Alexrim FGSS from LiT Bowery
    Unbranded old French hoops

I did once (1.5 years ago) order some hand built Record + Mavic Open Pro but cancelled them, I NEED something bling and lightweight.

Not Zipp though that's a step to far even for me
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My next set will be light but not visually bling; Stans Alfas on Chris King hubs. Should be about 1400g.

Going to use them to replace my Fulcrum 1s.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Reynolds Assualts? Shimano DAs?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Nik Cube
    Mmmmmmmmm fairly sure I already dealt with this but benefit of the doubt for it geeks - ZIPP 303's on SALE at your local friendly bike shop. I'm not even on commission, and after all you I've got a job in London types have got loads of money ;-)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
    Nik Cube wrote:
    Mmmmmmmmm fairly sure I already dealt with this but benefit of the doubt for it geeks - ZIPP 303's on SALE at your local friendly bike shop. I'm not even on commission, and after all you I've got a job in London types have got loads of money ;-)

Yes but £1350 isnt really a bargain even in my book ;-)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Some nice Campags/Fulcrums should do it. Neutrons are lovely and reasonably priced, Eurus are a bit more bling, Racing 1's would be great.

Worth looking second hand?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    What a stupid question - of course you do
  • itboffin
    I really like the 2 way fit feature as well, I've been wanting to try tubeless for ages, that's surely enough reason
  • asprilla
    In that case how much would you offer for a pair for Racing 1 Two Way Fits? Less that 1,000 miles on them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • mapleflot
    mapleflot Posts: 81
    Here's a question: Alexrims. What's up with them?
    Bike companies seem to think they are good enough [to save money and fool people into buying the rest of the often-quite-supposedly-decent bike?]... but do they actually make anything people might upgrade to? Are they, in fact, another Giant type factory, that is making rims offhandedly branded as `Italian' or `U-S-A' etc. as well?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    itboffin wrote:
    I really like the 2 way fit feature as well, I've been wanting to try tubeless for ages, that's surely enough reason

Some of these then, perhaps?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Basically your current wheels are dangerous and could collapse and kill you. It's not impossible you know - it is likely . . (it may not be very likely but we are splitting hairs at this stage).

If you don't buy new wheels you will die.

Perhaps

You owe it to your children to buy new wheels.

Or you could have my "old" deep section FFWDs off me for a steal . . .

"steal" is relative.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I spent lunchtime at Rhonde in Edinburgh with a mate who's thinking about some tarty-ass carbon wheels. In his case, it's either some FSAs in stealth-bomber black, or Zipp 303s. They had both in stock, and I honestly couldn't believe how light they were, especially in tubular. Absolutely phenomenally light. It's not like this guy is slow up the hills anyway. :lol:
  • cjcp wrote:
    Reynolds Assualts?

And lo, he spaketh the word of the Lord. And the word was True.

But he spellteth it all liketh a monger, and that. Inniteth.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    I do love my Assaults. £500 off eBay. Now that is a bargain.

There is a pair on now for £500 with three days left. Look in fantastic condition.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    mapleflot wrote:
    Here's a question: Alexrims. What's up with them?
    Bike companies seem to think they are good enough [to save money and fool people into buying the rest of the often-quite-supposedly-decent bike?]... but do they actually make anything people might upgrade to? Are they, in fact, another Giant type factory, that is making rims offhandedly branded as `Italian' or `U-S-A' etc. as well?

Nothing from what i can tell other than they do tend to be a bit heavy, you should have seen the abuse LiTs gave those wheels before I had them both myself and the LBS owner couldnt work out how she'd put a sort of bendy wave in both and yet they were still true - amazing!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Phone up Derek at Wheelsmith, tell him how much you have to drop on some bling and he'll sort you out. How about some 30mm carbon loveliness? Not too twitchy in the wind, very stiff for the hills? Or go aero and go 50+ . Yum !

I love my new wheels more and more each ride.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.