Bike racks

AAG
AAG Posts: 123
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I have a BMW3 series coupe and a Saris Bones Sentinel 2 Bike Rear Cycle Carrier, but the problem is i got given it and no instructions about putting a bike on it, all it has is the plastic strap that holds the frame on.
But how can i stop the bike from swinging back and forward.
MTB- Cannondale SL2 2011
Road- Saracen Sestriere now winter bike
Road- Trek Domane 4.5 2013

Comments

• AAG
    AAG Posts: 123
    Nobody uses a bike rack then.
    MTB- Cannondale SL2 2011
    Road- Saracen Sestriere now winter bike
    Road- Trek Domane 4.5 2013
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    No, I use a bike rack. But mine's all Thule. And lives on my car roof.

I never really got the Saris Bones carriers, they look..... odd.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mine fits to the tow bar and the others to the roofrack.

Tried downloading the manual?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Took the rear seats out, bike goes in the back.
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    Although my 330 is a Touring, I still stick the bikes on a rack when going to CYB 3-up - usually with just one bike on the back...

I have a Saris Bones and use bungees - plenty of them - to keep the bike really tight on the rack.

Watch the placement of the bike's wheels if you leave them on, on the A4 Avant I had previously I burned one of my brother's tyres right off the rim on the way to CYB once as the wheel was too close to the exhaust! It was not touching, just in the flow of exhaust gasses :shock:
  • I have a Saris Bones - TBH , I'm not sure what the issue is? The black rubber/plastic straps hold the top tube on the rack as well as the seat tube.

Personally, I would only use it for short jaunts - I'm not sure that I would want to be doing 85 mph down a French motorway with them attached like that ...

If I was doing that , I would use roof rack straps to tie them really securely

The major issue is how to stop the rubber legs scratching you paintwork !
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)