Richmond Sportive (North Yorkshire) 2nd June

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,570
Entries are open for this now. I thought it was a great event last year. Organised by a local club and only £15 to enter.

Includes climbs of the Stang, Tan Hill, Fleet Moss and Park Rash which i think are all int he top 100 British climbs book. Last year i had to abandon at the Tan Hill Inn when my rear derailleur snapped, the organiser was swiftly out to return me back to base.

http://www.richmondcyclingclub.co.uk/co ... tives-2012

entries via
https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?e ... ent_id=655
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Hi GSK I remember you telling me about your mechanical. I will be entering this year again and hope to be a bit more able this time. I had great fitness for the Fred but was seriously ill 3 days afterwords with food poisoning and did not ride my bike at all apart from 2 x 1 hour sessions until the Richmond sportive 3 wks later. I can tell you after two weeks in bed that its not a smart to just jump on your bike and do 100miles in the dales :roll: Best way to spend the last day in your 30s though!

Its a great event and it has to be one of the best value events for money on the calendar.
    Brian B.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Strangely enough I had a bad stomach before AND during the Richmond 5 dales last year. What with the wind (not the stomach problem kind) and my bowels I downgraded at the last minute at Hawes to the 4 Dales route - still managed a silver award - but felt really tired and lethargic afterwards.

I've just entered again for the 5 Dales and this time I will do the damn route - on a standard chainset coz I got no money to buy the compact I promised I would have LOL.

Again, it's the best sportive event I've enter (been twice) and a real challange.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • I'll be doing this again this year. Last year's event was my first 100 miler, I'll be hoping for less headwind into the first 3 climbs this year! It is a really well run event, good feedstations and great value too.
  • spadve71
    spadve71 Posts: 353
    plus 1
  • gsk82
    anybody else in for this? i can't believe how few entrants there are on the si entries page!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Alas I am not going as I have entered another SI event on Saturday - the Skye Mor. I have done the Richmond event twice and its probably the best value event on the calendar. Weather looks good for it though and may fill up in the next day or so.
    Brian B.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I'm in for the 5 Dale 100. Just looked and there are 361 entires now.
  • I am doing the 3 Dales - my maiden Sportive at the young age of 51 !
    As I commute in the flatlands between Boroughbridge and York , I am a bit daunted by the two big climbs - Strang and Tan Hill !! There are a few chevrons on my Navigator map, but presumably they are not super steep ALL the time ?
  • mr_dobbo
    mr_dobbo Posts: 53
    I might do the 50 mile loop, does anyone know if you can enter on the day? I'll not be able to commit much before.
  • hugo15
    Mr Dobbo wrote:
    I might do the 50 mile loop, does anyone know if you can enter on the day? I'll not be able to commit much before.

Sportident website says entries close on Thursday. You could post on the Richmond CC forum and ask them the question.

http://www.richmondcc.co.uk/forum/

Link to route and to GPS files for all three route can be found in this thread http://www.richmondcc.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=2&t=1123
  • muffin top
    muffin top Posts: 78
    Another great event. Well orgainised and good value.

Many thanks to the organisers.

Any news on the rider who needed the ambulance after falling on the descent from the Stang?
    I should get out more (on the bike)
  • mr_dobbo
    mr_dobbo Posts: 53
    I just did the 50mile loop as 1st sporive I've done and want to see how it went, did it in bronze time (3.44) so pretty happy with that considering the bike I was on! I think I need to sort my nutrition out a bit more for my next one. Thanks to RCC great event well organised with friendly happy people and good value, defo be back next year. :D

I saw the rider who was down, he looked to be in a fairly bad way but was being cared for. According to the RCC forum, he went to hospital in an ambulance with a head wound, it seems he might not have had a helmet on.
  • hugo15
    Another great event from Richmond CC. I did the long ride, which was 86 miles. I was OK until Park Rash then I found that climb very very hard. Suffered with cramp in Coverdale and had to nurse my legs home a bit.
  • valentino46
    valentino46 Posts: 149
    I did the event last year, thoroughly enjoyed it & vowed to do it again in 2012.

Finished the shortened route in just under 6 hours & it was good to ride Buttertubs pass.

Organisation, feed stops & the friendliness of the Richmond CC crew were brilliant.

I'll definitely be back for 2013. :D:D :P

Simon Ellis
  • gsk82
    definately the best sportive i've done.

great hq and registration, great route, top feed stops, well signposted and decent food afterwards and all for 15quid!

i ended up been glad of the route change. i was knackered at the end so was glad of missing 17 miles and buttertubs pass was the highlight of the ride for me, probably my new favourite uk climb. i really hope they find a way to squeeze it into the route next year when i return for a third time.