What a great bunch of people you really are!

stuie1978
stuie1978 Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Just wanted to say thanks to the 5 or 6 people who stopped and offered help, from either some encouraging words to the use of a spare tube when I had a particularly pants bike to work on Wednesday. I was totally surprised by how kind these very nice folk were, let along the average human being would be so thoughtful to help (this included one chap who turned around and came back to ask me if i needed help!). You hear all this stuff about how insular and selfish society has become, well I think that isn't totally true after my experience on Wednesday. I'm sorry to say I was too proud and stupid to take them up on the offers of spare tubes mainly because I was, well, being too proud, but thank you all so much for the offer. If anyone stopped to offer help to me on Weds 29th Feb, between Portchester and Portsmouth between 6.30 and 8, I am very grateful. Makes you proud to be alive!

Comments

• Here, Here!!

I also was lucky enough to have 2 kind cyclists offer me assistance when I picked up a puncture two weeks back.

So to those two fellas who came to a strangers assistance (albeit refused due to aforementioned pride) on Sedgensworth road, Fareham - thank you also!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    That's good to hear, although I doubt very much it was anyone on here. They daren't stop, SCR going on don't ya know!
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I always stop (unless it's on a strava segment)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's good to hear.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    stuie1978 wrote:
    between 6.30 and 8

Great post to read, but what the heck happened that had you standing around for 1.5 hours?
  • Well that comes down to the pride and thinking I was only 3 miles from home, which was actually 5 miles. Amazing how difficult it is to walk 5 miles in cleats (speedplays!). Next time I'll either A) phone the wife, B) use the train, C) accept the offers from very kind strangers or D) not destroy my spare tube with over-excitable pumping.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I'd happily hand over my spare inner to someone with a flat safe in the knowledge that :-

1) I'd finally be justified in carrying the weight of the spare and
    2) the probability of me getting a p***** before reaching my destination would approximate to 1.