hey peeps, newbie...

saj1985
saj1985 Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
hey peeps, im saj, hope your all kewl! :)
originally i was thinking of getting a motorbike, then i was thinking the whole cost of getting license, bike, insurance etc will cost too much,
then i heard about the electric bicycle, but then im thinking why not get a normal bicycle which will be good for my cardio.

so im obviously thinking of getting a bike,
to be honest i was in my teens when i last had a bike,
which was a full suspension mountain bike, think it was a apollo guru from halfords,
we talking like years ago!

so now im not really clued up! lol...
i'd like to know the difference between road bike, mountain bike and hybrids please?
i understand the road bikes are for road usage and are fast also have smaller tyres, is that right?

i'd also like to know what road bikes are like for going up hills?
can i use the bikes as normal in the winter or do i need to get anything like winter tyres for road bike???

im looking to commute to and from work that's less then 7 miles round trip,
and after work use the bike to get to the gym and back which is like 5 miles round trip.
my intention is to also try and go for long rides on the weekends.

ideally i'd like to be able to put mud guards on the bike cause i'll use it to commute,
also would like to put the rack at the back and be able to put the cycle pannier bag on.

by the way some of you commute to and from work with your bikes,
how many miles do you ride to and from work?

i want to improve my cardio and save some money at the same time to be honest,
id obviously like to spend as less as possible, you know get as much value for money as i can,
dont get me wrong if i see something i really like i can buy it,
but the worry i have is that if i buy a bike and then down the line i get lazy and don't end up using it at all,
then it will be a waste of money so to speak!

i've had a look on the famous auction site but seems to be so many bikes im a bit lost lol!

any help would be much appreciated, thanks saj! :)

p.s sorry for asking so many questions lol! :)

Comments

• roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    This: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12645896 should give you a good overview of the different types of bikes suited to your needs.

A 7 mile round trip is well within limits for a commute, I do 32 miles and there are many others here that do even more. Once you get into it you'll probably be wanting to do more than the 7 miles :) .

Whatever bike you get, be prepared to spend about the same on equipment/accessories, it gets quite addictive :oops:.
  • saj1985
    saj1985 Posts: 3
    roddixon wrote:
    This: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12645896 should give you a good overview of the different types of bikes suited to your needs.

A 7 mile round trip is well within limits for a commute, I do 32 miles and there are many others here that do even more. Once you get into it you'll probably be wanting to do more than the 7 miles :) .

Whatever bike you get, be prepared to spend about the same on equipment/accessories, it gets quite addictive :oops:.

that was a good read, i couldn't a newbie thread hence why i asked lol! :D

for example when i go onto the famous auction site theres so many road bikes but which one do i need?
    any recommendations?

im 5'7 from birmingham
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    What price range are you looking at?

You could always post in the road buying advice section, may get more responses there...
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Try something from one of the big brands as they can keep their prices for their starter bikes in the £500-600 range while still offering decent quality components. My first bike was along these lines - it was a Giant OCR (now the Defy) from 2006 and it served me very well for four years until I upgraded to my current titanium bike. It cost me £500 to take off the shop floor and then I paid around another £100 for helmet, lock, computer etc. A week later I picked up some started SPD pedals with Specialized MTB shoes. All told I had paid out around £700 and was more than ready to enjoy many miles of riding to get myself started.

Warning: Pianoman accepts no responsibility for emptying of one's bank accounts due to an irresistable urge to buy a carbon TT bike after around seven years - as he's just done exactly that. Full pictures to come soon :D