anyone with a ex8 or trance 2

Haggis_Racer
Haggis_Racer Posts: 14
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just wondering if anyone with either of these could give me a pointers..... will be buying one or the other on tuesday... an i know people say have a go on them but apart from around the car park i cant really... new to mtbing so any help would be great!

Comments

• i have just brought a 2009 Trance X3. I have upgraded from a Giant Anthem and the extra 20mm of travel front and rear is amazing. The trance will tackle anything you throw at it i have found. Fantastic bike. Well worth the money.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Is there anything in particular you want to know?

I've been demoing a Trek Fuel EX 8 this weekend and was very impressed by it. I pretty much agree with the Bike Radar review on it. Apart from I didn't have any issues with my DRCV fork. I thought it felt very consistent.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I got a Trance X1 and I have owned a Trek EX8 both really good bikes but the Trance pips it for me
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • well i am a newbie so i think there both going to be awesome compared to what i have ridden... just wasnt sure what to go for... any problems people have experienced etc. also cant seem to find a weight anywhere for the ex8 however the trance seems really light for a 5" bike. i have had a run round the carpark on the trance an it feels really bouncy but i have never been on a full suss before now :S

Also went into Alpine bikes to have a look at the trek an the guy behind the counter was a tool.... he answered the phone an in front of me turned to another member of staff an said "this calls for you, guy sounds like a clueless idiot" an i thought... that could be me calling to ask something :O so i would have to travel to buy trek as you have to collect.
  • stu coops... what is it you prefer about the trance?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    According to this website the 2012 Fuel EX 8 weights in at 29 lbs 03 oz
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/08/17/2012-trek-bikes-actual-weights-and-photos/

That's the same model I was testing on the weekend. While it feels a bit heavier than my hardtail (as expected) in reality when peddling up a hill the extra weight was not as noticeable as I thought it might be. I don't have the actual weight for my hardtail so its a bit unscientific. The suspension action helped when going up over bumps so although it weighted more it also has over benefits to counter act the negatives.

I think Treks reputation seems to be very good from general reading about on forums and the web I haven't heard many bad stories, yes there are some there will always be a few mistakes but I think these are by far in the minority. The dealer I was borrowing the bike from said the frame came with a lifetime warranty. I'm sure Trek will have details on their website.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I have an EX8 which I got after riding a Rockhopper for years, I think whatever you choose you'll be pleased with. I love my Trek!

The 29lbs for the ex8 is about right, it's not heavy to ride at all.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • thanks guys!