Crankset - 10sp v 9sp

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
May have asked this before, but are the only differences between a 9sp and 10sp shimano xt crankset the rings?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If youve got 770 version the chassis was the same as 9spd just 10 spd rings. The new 780 xt is completely new and 10 spd apecific
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    This is a subject that has been done to death over the tinterweb, yet trying to find a definitive answer is a little boggling :shock:

I believe the 10sp rings have more ramps and contours to aid shifting and the spacing between rings is 1mm differebt to 9sp, but identical to 7/8 sp.

Having said that, I use a 10sp XT front/ rear mech and cassette, with M970 cranks and 2 blackspire rings with no ramps, it is works well.

Took a bit of faffing to dial in the front mech shifting but works with no problems now.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'm selling a set of M780 rings, buy them off my and do a side by side comparison :)

Seriously though, I'd have thought the rings would be slightly closer together on the 10sp version making it incompatible with the thicker 9sp chain.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Ok.. lol..

lemme rephrase.

If I buy a 2nd hand 9sp xt crankset (older version, not the new one) and stick my 10sp chainrings on, will it be ok?
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes, that's what Shimano did when they jumped XT onto the band wagon. The 9 Spd chassis was exactly the same, just different rings.
  • stuperb thanks :)
  • Chunkers1980
    So you may need to tweak the shoulders, to make the rings fit.
  • yea thats fine, as long as it should work I'm not bothered... just need a crankset now! Bye Bye BB30!