Chain replacement

Dibbo12
Dibbo12 Posts: 5
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone, just looking for some general advice. I've recently been having problems with a skipping chain on the cassette. I checked the chain for wear and it turned out the chain checker was indicating that it was coming up to replacement time. I have done this and the problem is now worse. Do I need to replace the cassette? I was under the impression that if you changed the chain in time your save yourself the cost of a whole new drive train. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Your cassette may well be worn. But it may just be poor set up.

Have a look the the teeth. Are they worn?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dibbo12
    Yeh checked the teeth and they seem fine, showing little or no wear. I've prob done 600 miles since I've had it, the cassette is an XT. I clean and relube the drivetrain after every ride, so would hope for a bit more longevity than that?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    .75 on the chain-checker and you'll generally get away with just the chain.1.0 and it's usually chain and cassette :? 600miles might not sound a lot but there's a lot of wear'n'tear can happen in that time.
  • jode
    jode Posts: 5
    I don't mean to sound condescending or anything, but an improperly tuned rear derailleur can also cause the chain to skip...

Also, you didn't mention where the skipping is happening - is it on all cogs of the cassette? Or just in the smallest?
  • Dibbo12
    Not condescending at all Jode, I have very limited mechanical knowledge, so all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. The skipping occurs on the bigger cogs (top 3) the chain checker indicated that the chain was at 0.5, but was showing signs of rust, so thought I would just replace. So it could possibly be the rear mech out of alignment, given my limited knowledge would it be best to get my LBS to have look?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The chain will always wear first followed by the cassette and then the chain ring(s). Despite what your lbs may say you will not need new cranks & shifters as well.

Depending on your set-up, a new chain can take a while to bed in with a worn cassette.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    the chain checker indicated that the chain was at 0.5, but was showing signs of rust,

0.5 isn't worn, I've seen Park Chain Checkers suggest brand new chains are worse! Any chain will rust if you don't lube it, irrespective of age.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Might just be the indexing.You may find adding a couple of tweaks to the adjuster to add tension cures it.
    If the chain was rusty,check for stiff chain links too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try a bit of lube on the chain then a tweak on the barrel adjuster, anticlockwise, no more than a quarter turn at a time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why anticlockwise? That'll only sort the problem if there's not enough tension, could be too much.

Look on YouTube for videos, worth knowing how to sort it yourself.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because unless he's already fiddled with them, and they were fine before, it's highly unlikely the tension has increased.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dibbo12
    Hi, thanks everyone for the help and comments, after looking again at my handy work, I think I may have made the new chain to short :oops: I m sure this will have an affect on gear change and chain skipping. So it's back to the LBS and purchase a new chain. I'm a little bit embarrassed but hey, at least I will Learn for next time.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`ve learnt a lot on bike maintenacne through my mistakes!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo