What to do with a Cannondale Raven Super V??

Sammiye
Sammiye Posts: 61
edited July 2012 in MTB general
So there's a near mint condition Cannondale Raven Super V Series collecting dust in a loft.

XTR mechs, XT cranks, Hope brakes - presumably top end, Lefty fork, Fox Vanilla Float shock. The frame itself is beautiful green/purple two tone carbon and its lighter than most hardtails ive ever picked up.

Old tech granted (although the XTR gearing looks near new and could be quite modern) but what can be done with it?? Wouldn't want to sell it but are they worth riding? The lefty stem angles downwards which is weird and i know nothing about the cannondale way of doing things. Seems to have a fair amount of pedal bob too, just riding it around the drive.

Any suggestions??

If i were to do anything, i'd maybe consider some new more standard forks/stem/bars but i would imagine the massive headtube and funny headset means compatibility is an issue.

Any advice helpful!

Comments

• larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    Ohhh Pics please! I love old bikes. If its near new condition, service it and get it riden!!! :)

Just looked at a few pics online and the Raven with the lefty seams to have a downwards stem. A XC style set up. If it has alot of pedal bob can you not adjust the rear shock?

Wish I found one of them in my loft :(
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • Strip it... Sell stuff on ebay / retro bike.... make a load of Benjamen's, buy something new :0)
  • Sammiye
    Doing a bit of Google I can't find out exactly what model it is. I'm fairly sure its not the original spec as the drive train and disc brakes look newer than 10-12 years old. And I'm also sure it isn't a raven 2.

Doesn't have any model number on the frame. Need to give it a clean and see if I can find a serial number.

Got a couple of pics on me phone. Need to figure out how to put em up here (no computer access at the mo).

Not mine to sell unfortunately but I can possibly ride it/tweak it how I like.
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    Have a look on bikepedia see if its listed there. From your description it sounds like the 2000 model with lefty & downward stem but thats just from me typing in 'Cannondale Raven Super V' into google images.

Try and get it set up best you can or get to your LBS and get a full service. :)
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • Sammiye
    Thanks for that. Wasn't aware of that website.

almost certain its the 4000SX. with swapped out coda brakes for hope ones.

www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.a ... &Type=bike

looks like I might be able to swap the stem round anyway.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Retro bike, haven't seen one of those around for years!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I'm very jealous, i use to love those bikes! couldn't use it in anger now. but i'd moth ball it and sneak a peak at it every now and then.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • oh man, that's a flashback, snapped 3 of them :(

those were excellent "then" long travel 4" bikes., when I first bought her, at mammoth Kamakazi run with xc tires, lol.

3865_100626837651_6327992_n.jpg

3865_100597457651_4729198_n.jpg

3865_100624627651_7442804_n.jpg
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    After seeing that, and reading up on it, I want one for shartz and giggles. Looks like a hoot to ride.