What 'Old School' item do you miss the most if any?

2»

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Spinergy 4(8) spoke wheels 8)
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Flex-stems

I converted my flex-stem into a camera mount for the motorbike, a role which weirdly it was more suited to than being a stem :lol: Bloody useless things.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Flex-stems

I converted my flex-stem into a camera mount for the motorbike, a role which weirdly it was more suited to than being a stem :lol: Bloody useless things.

The stem that when you went to bunny hop up a curb, you pushed down, pulled up and still whacked the curb....
  • Northwind
    ...with the added advantage that it was extra sharp for when you smashed your balls on it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Answer A-tac stems, Magura johnny T's, Spin wheels, Oakley T-wires, Fat Chance, The Malvern hills classic, Specialized umma gumma tires, tioga butterscotch tires, cooks cranks, grafton, Ringle, Specialized FSX forks, Jason McRoy, White industries, syncros revolution cranks, anodised purple stuff, ceramic rims, GT team scream colours, MBi magazine, nokian gazzaloddi tires, original nuke proof, dual crown forks on everything, Specialized S-Works Steel, trek Y-bikes, John Tomac, Missy Giove, Kona frames designed by Joe Murry.... Loads to chose from ;0)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Very few of the above that I miss.

JMC is about the only one. The others I have if I need.

Got purple ano wheels. ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    MIddleburn RS1 cranks, Royce Ti BBs, Pace Suspension hubs, snowflake wheels, Tioga Disk drives, Trek Y Bikes in Hawaii-five-o flavour... Oh so much good stuff.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Royce Ti BBs

Snapped 3 of these.... The owner of Royce refused to give me another... Overrated piece of tat!...
  • Northwind
    OK, I'll give you diskdrives. Not because they were any good, just because of the noise!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    OK, I'll give you diskdrives. Not because they were any good, just because of the noise!

Always wanted one but was put off by the rim / hub choice... I wanted the black one but the 'clear' pro one was better apparently :lol:
  • benpinnick
    There's more! DCDs, original crud catchers before they got all big, machine-tech hubs, D321 rims, Xlite seatposts just because they were so prone to snapping it was comical, likewise Fred Salmon (remember them?) bars, My old DBR WCF Vertex, RST Mozo Pros for introducing affordable single crown long travel forks to the world, Tioga Psycho Tyres for their comedy lack of grip.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    benpinnick wrote:
    D321 rims,
    still have and use mine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Northwind
    Didn't the old D321 become another Mavic rim under a different name?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    not really. there was a 321 but it was an AM rim.

the 729 is similar but not quite the same.
  • Northwind
    Ah, that's the one I'm thinking of, cheers. Loads of internet experts reckon it's just logo engineering.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I have an ex721 which looks remarkably similar to an old D521. The 521's owner thinks there's sod all difference... I think my money must have gone somewhere more advanced :shock:
  • nicklouse
    Northwind wrote:
    Ah, that's the one I'm thinking of, cheers. Loads of internet experts reckon it's just logo engineering.
    it could well be but i did see more bust 729s than D321s but .......
  • benpinnick
    The great thing about the D321s is that everyone who owned them probably still owns them, or knows who does. My last set for example (c. 2003 built on Bulb hubs) is now in use by Th33lter. Still as good as the day they were built Best rims ever.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    D321 on Ti Bulbs.

Sorted.

yes I still have mine.
  • Northwind
    Ah, bulbs. Are they old enough to count as old school? Pro 2s are alright I suppose...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nope neither are the D321 in my eyes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    benpinnick wrote:
    The great thing about the D321s is that everyone who owned them probably still owns them, or knows who does. My last set for example (c. 2003 built on Bulb hubs) is now in use by Th33lter. Still as good as the day they were built Best rims ever.
    Funnily enough I moved his bike last night, and it struck me that they still look brand new.

ps it's thel33ter. And he doesn't know what it means either.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    d00m wrote:
    Klein, rock lobster, early nukeproof hubs, red dx v brakes, girvin forks, stx rc 8) oh and the gt lts...

i loved my nukes till i cracked the rear flange last summer :cry: front still works

and my panaracer spike front tyre never found anything as good for winter/muddy riding
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • benpinnick
    Good old school video on Pinkbike, funny how this looks worse than most home made go-pro efforts these days!

Enjoyed bringing back the Student DH champs memories. Such fun. Such lame courses.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Sprung-Full-Movie.html
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    just noticed my old bike has a 'sharkfin' great way of preventing chainslap/stick
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • craigw99 wrote:
    just noticed my old bike has a 'sharkfin' great way of preventing chainslap/stick

They were particularly useless - both at doing their job, and the adhesive that was meant to attach them
    Kally seat posts used to snap ...
    And manitou shocks would lose all of their 2 inches of elastomer travel if it rained or was cold ....
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • philcube
    philcube Posts: 45
    A- thumbshifters

B- skinwall tyres

C- klein