Avid Juicy three prob

thehairs1970
thehairs1970 Posts: 142
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I went to replace the Pads on my Juicy 3's and did as I normally do - Remove old pads, put flat screwdriver inbetween and then lever back and forth to push pistons in. However, The pistons won't go in. If I push one the other comes out. I don't think they should do this! Are they dead and need to be replaced?

Martyn

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Too much fluid in them.

It is also better to press on the OD pads as you are less likely to damage the pistons.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Don't think it can be that as they've been working ok prior to the pad change.

Martyn
  • theres too much fluid hence when you push the pistons it has nowhere to go forcing the opposing piston out.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    And they are not broken. I would fit the pads if you can with the given space, and ride it.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    loosen but don't remove the lever bleed screw, push the pistons back into the caliper which will push a small amount of fluid out then retighten the bleed screw.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Typically what happens if the system is 'bled' (read 'filled') without pushing the pistons right back using the correct tool.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.