giant anthem x3 opinions please???

stanny_uk
stanny_uk Posts: 147
edited March 2012 in MTB general
As title anyone got a giant full sus??? Good bike?? Looking at x3

Comments

• Not got one but could sell them all day long. It has the same frame as the Anthem X1 and X2 and has great spec.

The Maestro suspension platform is one of the best pedal efficient platforms out there and it weighs a reasonable 27ish lb. (depending on size and pedals)

The suspension is suitable for 99% of the UK's riding spots and the 4 inches of travel doesn't get in the way of climbing in terms of efficiency, extra weight or geometry.

There are some 2011 models left in places and if you can live with the red gear / brake cables, I don't think you'll be disappointed.... It even rides well on roads, flats, bridleways etc.

mtbr.com has independent reviews on it as well.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A mate has an X4 and it is an absolute rocket. Plus its pretty tough he has smacked it down some rocky trails and it doesnt get out of shape like you would expect a light racy bike to do. As long as you prefer to keep both wheels on the ground it is the perfect trail weapon capable of doing virtually anything. Dont buy if you like jumping its not meant for that.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They're superb- and way more capable than most people would believe. A mate has one as his main trail bike and uses it everywhere, even takes it to innerleithen dh when he doesn't want to push 40lbs of bike up the hill :mrgreen:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I have an X4 and it's a wicked bike. It's light, fast and a rocket ship up hills. It's only 100mm travel but I have never felt that I have needed more, nor have I been on terrain that's got me badly out of shape either.

It's not a downhill bike but it is an extremely capable trail machine.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Just bought a seconad hand X2 acouple of weeks ago.Still getting used to it,but seems to have all the speed of my XTC hardtail,but obviously offers massively better traction and comfort.

The great thing about it is that the suspension seems to feel taut and responsive,but whilst remaining comfortable.

Can`t understand why it took me so long to get one!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    I have owned a 2011 Anthem X4 since September.
    My first full suss after years of riding hardtails.
    Wasn't sure if i was doing the right thing buying only 4" of travel but it suits my riding down to a tee, lightweight, good spec for the money that I paid (£500 reduction from 2011 rrp) .
    So far have only changed chain ring bolts, qr skewers and the tyres for winter but will put the Crossmarks back on for summer. Also an upgrade to 180 front disc is on the cards and blingy new grips but little else. Bought from recomendations from this and various forums, you won't be disapointed if you decide to buy one.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    My mate has an X1 and absolutely loves the thing and smashes it around anywhere my 140mm Zesty goes, cracking bike
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Got one, love it. Only thing that I don't like is the price I paid - £2150 about a year ago. Seem to be some 2011 bikes going for about £1400 which is fantastic (Pauls cycles etc). I'm more than happy taking mine on any red grade trail in the UK, just don't expect to nail huge jumps (I'm too scared to get my wheels too far off the ground). If you're the kind of rider who would rather skim low over small jumps (as opposed to getting air), I couldn't reccomend it highly enough.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I've an X4 2010. I've now done 2,400 miles on it, and I love it. I'm just about to shorten the stem, and maybe get slightly wider bars, but any changes I make will be modest as it is just so comfortable to ride. It's great for climbing, great for distances and the ride is very smooth - especially if you are a sit-and-pedal sort of rider. The Anthem was my first 'proper' bike, but in the last year I've tried a few others - but so far nothing has tempted me to change.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building