how big is your wallet?

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
We all have cycling jerseys with pockets with the little zip pocket, so why can't you buy small wallets, specifically for cyclists?

The rip stop nylon with velcro fastening ones are narrower than "traditional" square wallets but almost twice as long.

The normal square wallet is about 11/12cms square and has enough space inside for turn of the century fivers!

Looked at all the usual cycling sites, they have "sport" wallets but they are all too big.

Bank notes are only about 7cm square when folded in half and credit cards are about 8.5cms long.

So, my question is where are the cycling specific, light weight, 9cm wallets?

Or do we all carry on using zip lock bags etc?
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    They are available if you look hard enough. I have a nylon/ripstop one that folds into thirds (rather than just in half). Think I got it from Millets or Snow & Rock.

However, I rarely use it - I just stick a few notes in my Blackberry case (jammed between phone and case) and stick that in a pocket. Don't normally take c/cards when riding.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I have one of these:
    http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/eshop-catalogue/mens-collection/mens-leather-wallets/double-fold-credit-card-cases-7-styles/id-and-travel-card-case/1157-id-and-travel-card-case-in-smooth-cognac-and-espresso-suede

It fits into my zip up jersey pocket perfectly. However, sweat can mark the leather, so I generally, I put a £20 in a coin bag (the type you get from the bank) and put it in my seat pack.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Bluegnu
    Bluegnu Posts: 15
    A special wallet for cycling? I normally take c/card, drivers licence, £20 in notes and my phone and I just wrap it all up in a freezer bag; it's nice and small and keeps everything perfectly dry on a normal ride.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    http://www.rapha.cc/credit-card-case

rapha make a cycling specific wallet.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have whoever's driving my support vehicle carry mine.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I use the drawstring cloth bag that came with my sun glasses
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have whoever's driving my support vehicle carry mine.
    Does that come with a blue light on top to help with traffic?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    You mean a wallet like the one in C+ this month?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/product/review-lezyne-smart-wallet-09-34757/
    Lezyne Smart Wallet
    It has internal pockets designed to take a range of Lezyne’s tools – their Smart Kit puncture patches, RAP-6 multi-tool and tiny white Matrix tyre levers – as well as sections for cash and credit cards.
  • team47b

That's the first specific wallet I've seen, thank you.

Suppose I should have said cloth/nylon/neoprene, didn't really want a bit of dead skin in my pocket, personal choice I know and not a very popular choice I realise, just a non hypocritical animal lover! :D
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    that looks just like a normal credit card wallet, not a 'cycling specific' one
    google/ebay for credit card wallet or credit card case and it will throw up thousands of the things
  • team47b
    Gizmodo wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/product/review-lezyne-smart-wallet-09-34757/
    Lezyne Smart Wallet
    It has internal pockets designed to take a range of Lezyne’s tools – their Smart Kit puncture patches, RAP-6 multi-tool and tiny white Matrix tyre levers – as well as sections for cash and credit cards.

Yeah, I looked at these, they are a good solution, but are bigger than a standard wallet, I suppose they could replace an under the saddle bag though.

The under the saddle bag is a good solution as the stuff you need is only needed for cycling and can stay in the bag all the time, but most do not usually have a big enough opening to take a standard wallet, and I've already filled mine with diabetic stuff and chocolate biscuits :D

Just wanted a wallet to use everyday that would also be small enough to throw in the jersey pocket, rather than have to remember to take the necessary stuff out of the wallet, stuff into a zip lock bag, then transfer it back into the wallet when I get back from cycling, every day, just me being lazy :D
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Lezyne FTW, but generally I only carry the following:

House keys
    Fags
    Lighter

No repair kit, I've been very, very lucky. (But we are talking about blasting round private estates on an MTB)

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Lezyne FTW, but generally I only carry the following:

House keys
    Fags
    Lighter

No repair kit, I've been very, very lucky. (But we are talking about blasting round private estates on an MTB)

Love n hugs

DD
    :P Me mate had 3 yesterday lol Fixed the first then on a 60km/h+ descent it pinch flatted. My HRM straightlined lol Then walking to the main road his rear picked up a thorn.

A few coins and a note in the saddlebag does the job for me(Oh the shame in buying something to put your money in)
  • team47b
    that looks just like a normal credit card wallet, not a 'cycling specific' one
    google/ebay for credit card wallet or credit card case and it will throw up thousands of the things

These are a better size but hey are all leather. Just wanted something the size of one of these credit card wallets but not leather.

I know I sound really fussy but just wanted to buy a smaller/cycling specific wallet, ie one that fits easily in the zip pocket of a jersey and ideally can deal with sweat :D
  • that looks just like a normal credit card wallet, not a 'cycling specific' one

Don't be silly, of course it's cycling specific, for it has Rapha embossed on it, hence the trebling of the price compared with the same wallet from another brand. :wink:

I for one am a firm believer in freezer bags as well. Just shove cards, dosh and mobile in one and go ride in a Flemish monsoon if you wish. Job done.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Jimi wallet?

I just use a zip lock bag for my phone, card and some money. Works perfectly well, but I have almost bought a Jimi more than once.
    More problems but still living....
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Lezyne Smart Wallet

I use that one and it it fits nice and snug in your back jersey pocket, so minimal risk of popping out while riding.

I no longer carry money etc in saddle just in case i ever get separated from my bike.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Notes, ID & phone in a ziplok. Sorted.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    daviesee wrote:

I never, to my eternal shame, carry any kind of ID with me, the other half uses http://www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk/2011/ ... et-review/

Such a small cost and gives all the info required should someone have the unfortunate task of scraping up bits.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • team47b
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I never, to my eternal shame, carry any kind of ID with me, the other half uses http://www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk/2011/ ... et-review/

Such a small cost and gives all the info required should someone have the unfortunate task of scraping up bits.

Love n hugs

DD

Great solution to ID. I wear a dog tag (diabetic).

In Portugal it is law to carry ID, so I have to carry passport/Residencia/Medical paperwork as well!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    team47b wrote:

That's the firsgt specific wallet I've seen, thank you.

Suppose I should have said cloth/nylon/neoprene, didn't really want a bit of dead skin in my pocket, personal choice I know and not a very popular choice I realise, just a non hypocritical animal lover! :D

Will the dead animal skin come back to life if you don't buy it? I'm a totally hypocritical animal lover, 2 of the animals I love lots & lots are the 2 donors to my Brooks saddles. :-D (joking, mostly)

My wallet is an old cigarette case, super slim and tough, fits easily into a jersey pocket
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Am tempted by the Chrome Bishop..
    http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/chrome-bi ... -1167.html

But being a photo geek, someone bought me this which fits nicely...
    icon_77_camera_wallet_various_accessories_wallet_1307025126494433_640x640.jpg
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:

I'd like to report that the Chrome Bishop is sturdy; made of pannier/courier bag style material, you won't lose your change with the zip and is verging on being a murse :shock:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    Can't believe the amount of cash some of you take with you! I just take a couple of quid in change for emergency food / telephone and put it in a food bag with my phone to keep it safe and dry.
  • How about a Flat Jack from velo-re?

http://www.velo-re.com/sales.php

"The wallets outside is made out of recycled tyres made into matting. The inside is made out of old windsurfing sails, inner tube and tarpaulin. They all vary a bit and each one is different.

The cardholder for all card, business cards and notes
    Size: cardholder open 16cm x 11cm cardholder folded up 8cm x 11cm"

fl_jack_11.jpg

I've been using one for the last year, and I'm very happy with it.

They also make some very stylish belts made from old bike tyres and inner tubes.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Crikey, you lit must go on some epics. I take my phone in a plastic bag if its wet. That's it.
    Money? What would you use that for? I haven't seen any for about 3 years.

Tubes and CO2 in the saddle bag, if I'm doin any sort of distance I fill my pockets with food.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580

+1. A good piece of kit that I wear every time I go out training. I got the cheaper rubber band one (like the ones you used to get in swimming baths as a kid :) )

https://www.roadid.com/Builder/Builder.aspx?styleid=42

I have ICoE details, blood group and allergy info on the plate. I hope it never gets used in anger......
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    I often wonder how people managed with these major issues before cyling specific wallets and the like came on the market and before the internet was invented to ask the question ;)