selling the police

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
why has no-one ever thought of doing this before?

Comments

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Other way is payment at the point of use. Works great in Lagos & Kinshasa.
    Dunno why Thatcher didn't make that happen.

Trouble with Britain is, you can't always just bribe people to fix stuff.

If Britain was a proper second or third world country, when yer Virgin Internet stops for no apparent reason, you could just ring up the engineer and say - "Look - I'll give you £500 to fix it and keep it working for two years".
    Instead, unless you have a family member who knows one of the execs, you end up talking to a numpty doing a script in a call centre, who couldn't fix the problem for any ammount of money.

We could try privatising the armed forces too.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I believe NotW have been buying the police for years.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    It'll happen. Lincolnshire have already started privatising some of their civilian staff. The consideration so far has been if e.g. Vodafone sponsor / buy a stake in a police force or area of business would they get preferential treatment over other crime victims, caught speeders etc playing the do you know who I work for card, could they manage to (mis)use the police as a quasi private militia? There would certainly be a huge amount of public skepticism about such things. How impartial would the cops appear if driving round in a panda car covered in corporate sponsorship decals? You get caught shoplifting in Tesco & they take you away in a van sponsored by Tesco.....

As for the other, I doubt we've even seen the tip of the iceberg.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I wonder if News International would throw in a cheeky bid?

Be ironic if this idea was floated while out riding on an ex-police horse... "how do we stop these damn criminal investigations, Dave?" "well, Becks... you could just buy the police"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17242956
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,988
    I think its a great idea. Its worked well for the trains, busses and utilities.

The police would be run on a commercial basis. The cost benefit analysis for murder and financial fraud would be pretty bad, but imagine how profitable driving in bus lanes and stopping ASL's would be?

I think they should privatise parliament. Then some Germans would buy it and start dictating policy. Hang on.....
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I think they should privatise parliament. Then some Germans would buy it and start dictating policy. Hang on.....

A German, yesterday

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE56-8nASNdKuBwmJo3_02SEqdghP2qiZm6OWk1bwM1VYeh7RC
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553

'Cos it's a wank idea and only a bunch of wankers would consider doing it or allow it. Enter David Cameron and crew stage extreme right.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712

'Cos it's a wank idea and only a bunch of wankers would consider doing it or allow it. Enter David Cameron and crew stage extreme right.

Why don't you say what you mean, instead of mincing your words?

Accurate summary though.
  • "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    It's a great idea, look at how much money privatising other industries has saved taxpayers/customers.

Oh, wait...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Does anyone think this is a good direction for the government to take?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:

Depends what's going private.

Toilet cleaners and the accounts department? Sure.

Actual policemen, with badges & handcuffs etc - less keen.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    notsoblue wrote:
    I guess Mr Blunkett will be looking forward to few more non-execs & consultancies. The revolving door works for Sir Humphreys too.

And the LabCons will be able to make a bit more out of the side shows at the party conferences.

Anyone done any work on how much a British government has to spend on privatised services to get a modest £100k return in the form of consultancies. non-execs, and spending/donations to political parties ?

Y'all could try voting Lib Dem. Oh. Hang on...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think that our glorious leaders watched Robocop and thought it was a party political broadcast from the future.

And they liked it!
    ocp-omni-consumer-products-93327.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If you privatised the police wouldn't there be a risk of them protecting their most lucrative providers?

If you had a payment at point of use system, what if you couldn't afford to pay?

Don't really like the idea to be honest.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I think that our glorious leaders watched Robocop and thought it was a party political broadcast from the future.

Ha! Made me laugh :)
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you privatised the police wouldn't there be a risk of them protecting their most lucrative providers?

If you had a payment at point of use system, what if you couldn't afford to pay?

Don't really like the idea to be honest.

Kinda happens anyway a bit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Once we had the pathetic PCSO's it was only a matter of time before someone cottoned on that they would be no more useless if privatised........also not sure why the actual investigation work (collecting evidence, assimilating data, coming to conclusions) has to be done by a warranted Police officer, I do pretty much the same every day as an engineer.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    To me the biggest concern is that it is being proposed AS A MONEY SAVING MEASURE. To subcontract to a private company that must turn a profit.

This leads one to only two possible conclusions;

1) The quality of the replacement staff will be so low that they can be paid peanuts

and / or

2) The current system is stupidly innefficient.

...hmmmm...
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    SimonAH wrote:
    To me the biggest concern is that it is being proposed AS A MONEY SAVING MEASURE. To subcontract to a private company that must turn a profit.

This leads one to only two possible conclusions;

1) The quality of the replacement staff will be so low that they can be paid peanuts

and / or

2) The current system is stupidly innefficient.

...hmmmm...

#2 is the issue, apparently.

I'm not sure going private is the solution. There are the usual privatisation arguments blah blah, but with police it's a little different.

Also - what would a private company be able to do to achieve more efficiency that couldn't be done (in theory) by the police as they stand right now - assuming they do as thorough a job?