Trousers for Commute?

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I know that this has probably been done to death, but I can't really find a proper answer.

I'm going to start commuting to work. It's only 5 miles and pretty flat, with just a couple of reasonable hills. I'll be using an old road bike and although I have enough lycra to start a small fetish shop, I'd like to avoid it for the commute. the main reason being that having to change into lycra and then into work clothes is far too much hassle for such a short commute.

I'm looking for recomendations for reasonably smart trousers that I could wear on the bike.

I need to dress fairly smart for work (suit trousers and a shirt), but would probably get away with more casual trousers as long as they're well cut and look smart.

I'm kind off thinking of the Rapha trousers, but don't want to spend that sort of money. Does anybody have any recommendations ?

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    How much effort is it to get changed?

From certain "experience" I know I can get into a pair of trousers in about 3 seconds. Leave a pair at work: presto.

But in answer to your question: have you had a look at Surface Liquistretch trousers? I've never actually tried them, but they seem worth checking out.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    rather depends on how smart, bare in mind if it gets wet, you'll get mud splatters unless you have mudguards. even then probably a bit, and black trousers, show mud like you'd not believe.

what are you planning on doing about oil?

I don't have to be that smart so i use work trousers i.e. black trousers plus smart t-shirt.

i normally just trek around the shops and look for something simple and plain.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    when my commute was only 5 miles I wore my boxers and a pair of Ron Hill tracksters, with my shirt on top.
    would just throw my smart trousers on in the toilets when I got in.

when my commute was just 3 miles I'd just commute in a suit.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    If you don't even get warm in that short distance then you need to try harder
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    My commute is about 5 miles too.

For months I wore trousers, jeans, casual shorts etc. It's only 5 miles but you still arrive hot and bothered and uncomfortable.

I now wear lycra. It takes 2 minutes to get changed and it means I can extend the commute if I feel like it.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    My commute is about 5 miles too.

For months I wore trousers, jeans, casual shorts etc. It's only 5 miles but you still arrive hot and bothered and uncomfortable.

I now wear lycra. It takes 2 minutes to get changed and it means I can extend the commute if I feel like it.

Just what I was going to say ! Dont have to worry about your trousers getting stuck in the chainset or getting dirty....get changed its really not much hassel !
  • redjeepǃ
    Maybe you're right about getting changed. At the moment there's nowhere other than the gent's to get changed, but I'm in the middle of getting the locker room sorted, complete with showers etc. Sometimes it's good to be the boss 8) .
  • redjeepǃ
    I suppose I was just trying too hard to look like a trendy fixie hipster. :D
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    my commute is about 3 miles

I just wear work clothes but (here's the clever bit) I have water proof over trousers to soak up the mud and rain. I just take them off at work and reveal the standard issue trousers underneath. This time of year it's not too hot. Dunno what I'll do in the summer :)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Personally I'm not a fan of the chamois so if I'm hammering it or going the long way I just wear lycra shorts, one can then simply wear them as underwear afterward.

Otherwise jeans - and I use one of those semi bulldog clips with the fold over arms in lieu of a bike clip to form a peat at the bottom to keep them out of the drivetrain.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    http://swrve.co.uk/softshell%20trouser.html

not cheap, but jolly good trousers for short rides/work.
  • vorsprung wrote:
    my commute is about 3 miles

I just wear work clothes but (here's the clever bit) I have water proof over trousers to soak up the mud and rain. I just take them off at work and reveal the standard issue trousers underneath. This time of year it's not too hot. Dunno what I'll do in the summer :)
    Wear shorts? :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • redjeepǃ
    That swrve website is pretty cool. I like the idea of the back pocket that holds a mini U-lock, but that's probably just the side of me that wants to be a hip fixie dude, as I'd have absolutely no need for a bike lock at work, other than walking around the office with it in my backpocket :( (sad that I'd want to!).

I may give the waterproof overtrousers a try and see how I get on.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    6.7 mile commute, cotton sports shorts (Fila, cost me £4 from a charity shop) over boxers, ride hard and a 30second change on arrival. Leave the lock at work, no need to carry it, that way I can use a substantial motorbike lock at the riskier end of my commute.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    fluff. wrote:
    http://swrve.co.uk/softshell trouser.html

not cheap, but jolly good trousers for short rides/work.

I was going to suggest these too

Proper smart trousers will wear out very quickly, leave them at work
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2784 ? Would go great with a formal shirt and suit jacket ;)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    I cycle 5 miles and just wear me lycra tights and jacket, though I have a shower at work it takes all of 10 minutes to shower and change then I walk into the office feeling fresh like a summer daisy.
  • redjeepǃ
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll probably go with the "dress like a roadie and shower when I get to work" model, once the locker room has been upgraded. It probably makes more sense and I'll just skip my normal shower before I leave the house.

Until then I'll experiment with the waterprrof overtrousers and may treat myself to a pair of trendier trousers.
  • redjeepǃ
    Sorry to dig this one up, it's just that I cycled in for the first time today. I went for a compromise and wore a pair of Ron Hill tracksters with a breathable top and a running jacket. It worked well and I changed when I got to work.

It's only about 10km, but I wiped myelf down with a babywipe just to be sure. The weight of the rucksack was the biggest issue and so I've left my work shoes and paperwork in work. I'll probably leave my trousers there tomorrow on a hanger to avoid them getting creased.

Had a great smug feeling all day, especially as it was such a nice day ! :D