Can you do an 11 year olds Maths homework?

2»

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Pross wrote:
    Just asked my 14 year old daughter with a predicted A or A* standard at GCSE and she didn't have a clue!!

Predicting GCSEs results 2 years before they do them!

Christ.

You'd be surprised just how many pupils do their GCSEs a year early these days.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    garrynolan wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    I did

a + b = 80
    b + c = 70

So, a + 2b + c = 150

This gives b as 50 then I did the rest from there. On a Friday evening. :roll:

Did it this way as well. Find it easier...

Can you do an early learning centre post of why a + 2b + c = 150 means that b = 50 :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    The problem is the kids aren't thought problem solving & the lateral steps needed to work tgese things out. My kids are both top quartile performers, daughter is v high rated but their lack of intuitive logic on stuff like this makes my worry an awful lot.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    ddraver wrote:
    garrynolan wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    I did

a + b = 80
    b + c = 70

So, a + 2b + c = 150

This gives b as 50 then I did the rest from there. On a Friday evening. :roll:

Did it this way as well. Find it easier...

Can you do an early learning centre post of why a + 2b + c = 150 means that b = 50 :oops:
    a+b+c=100, the only difference is the additional b in the term 2b, so the extra b adds 50 to the total. so b=50.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh............ (I got an A at GCSE too :oops: )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Just asked my 14 year old daughter with a predicted A or A* standard at GCSE and she didn't have a clue!!

Christ.

I did - but I remember it was our school policy not to do the core GCSE's (maths, english) early. I assumed that was universal.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Christ.

I did - but I remember it was our school policy not to do the core GCSE's (maths, english) early. I assumed that was universal.

I did my English O-Level a year early - though that was a long time ago. Things may have changed,
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    If the person has been taught elementary algebra, then it is very easy.
    If the question was asked, I would assume it must have bee taught....
    If taught and can't do it, I would say he/she must fail the exam.

If not taught, it takes much natural talent, difficult.

I was taught this algebra at the age of 11.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Does anyone have any objection if we treat the last post with the utter contempt it very obviously deserves?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    jim453 wrote:
    Does anyone have any objection if we treat the last post with the utter contempt it very obviously deserves?
    No objections here, it was a bit of a strange post :?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Christ.

Top set do it a year early. Some are being offerred the chance to do it two years early! I did mine 6 months early so then I was able to squeeze in A/S applied maths.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Turns out we are all wrong;b is 60.Ask the wife.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    I could not do it, I can't remember stuff like that anymore, however at School, some 30 ish years ago, I was very good at Maths, found it interesting and I could do it once I knew the methods or formula, but now not a chance.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Christ.

Top set do it a year early. Some are being offerred the chance to do it two years early! I did mine 6 months early so then I was able to squeeze in A/S applied maths.

Yeah it makes sense.

GCSEs are too easy if you are at the top end.

I remember in our maths class we finished the sylabus 10 months early so we'd just re-hash the textbook and every Friday we'd have to teach something you'd see in an AS level exam to the rest of the class with cake and juice (which we'd brought in). State schools eh? ;)

We were allowed to do our French GCSE's either two or one year early in top set. There was group who then did an AS Level in year 11 and, to be honest, it was a shambles. Of the 30 or so who did it, I think all but three people failed, one got a E, one and D, and one an A (yeah, one of those!).

I did it a year early and ended up doing a pointless 'business French' course for a year with no exam at the end.

But yeah, to the OP, it's pretty tricky. Maths is a lot about practice and habit though. I can't believe the maths I did at Uni as fast as I did. Can't even understand it now only 3-4 years later.
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    i just run and hide when my 11yr old says 'homework'.

but i only jog when my 9yr old says it.

thats my input,i still dont get it.
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I coudn't do algebra when I was 11 so I haven't a clue what the answer is now.

Neither have I ever been asked to find the value of a,b,c,x or any other letter in my entire professional life.

Bob
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    beverick wrote:
    I coudn't do algebra when I was 11 so I haven't a clue what the answer is now.

Neither have I ever been asked to find the value of a,b,c,x or any other letter in my entire professional life.

Bob

Good for you.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Easy now, but I wouldn't have been able to do it at 11, my algebra was appalling and continued that way until I was in my 20's :oops: I then had the benefit of an excellent teacher at college.

But if that is the stuff given to 11 yr old then it's heartening to see that standards are on the way up. I used to have an exam paper from the 1900's (or something like, old anyway) which was aimed at 11 yrs, it was fiendish and I wouldn't have had a hope of passing it.

The older I get, the better I was.