The truth about bicycles and their weight

pliptrot
pliptrot Posts: 582
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm a a little hesitant to post this where the cognescenti may have a chance to be hostile, but.......
http://www.there-cycling.co.uk/blog/gen ... -bears.php

Comments

• timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    i did not even read your link , but sub 17Lb is not cheap if you build it up yo self . about £900 with a mix of new and old parts . sub 16Lb you need to be lucky , Have a good one
    Britannia waives the rules
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    4 minutes over 30km - and they wonder why people want lighter bikes!! By their own findings, thats a huge difference really. 30km for me is typically about an hour, so i'll take the lighter bike ta. When we can spot a noticeable difference in a wheel set thats a couple of hundred grams lighter, i think we'd all notice a few extra kg on a bike too.

By that calculation shown also, it takes 6% more energy to ride the same distance as well as going slower. :cry:
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Interesting ideas here. I'm sure there is plenty of weight to "emulating our heros" marketing otherwise why bother?

That said, tubs, drops and steady developments in the direction of weight reduction and even aero are hardly a new idea.

I haven't read thoroughly, but for me, the biggest let down is that this reads as a comparison based on predicted performance (test of software) and not a practical one.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    No doubt the "study" has been conducted by some weirdbeard who couldn't ride to the end of the road without having a heart attack.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    pliptrot wrote:
    I'm a a little hesitant to post this where the cognescenti may have a chance to be hostile, but.......

that's on the flat though.. wouldn't fancy hauling nearly 17kg up any sort of gradient.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Absolutely nothing to do with the validity of the article, but once i went into There Cycles last summer, and asked the guy working in the shop if they sold torque wrenches, as i needed one for a carbon build.

The guy replied 'what's a torque wrench?'

Oddly, I haven't been back.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    the comparison of a 40pound bike v. 17pounder is interesting.

but put a 23pounder in that calculator and it shows a difference that really is insignificant in all normal riding conditions, but there is a big price and durability difference.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    FFS

And guess what. If you did the same test on a downhill gradient the heavier bike would actually be faster! :D

I'm going to rush to Tesco and buy the heaviest bike they have :roll:
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    pliptrot wrote:

that's on the flat though.. wouldn't fancy hauling nearly 17kg up any sort of gradient.
    Not a Problem if you have ridden from Peterborough to Boston , coz it's the flatlands , nothing else like it . XX
    Britannia waives the rules
  • pliptrot
    Well, That about sums it up: these comments support the fact that marketing can be used to take all your money but a little thought may be expedient. A cynic may suppose that if you have to pay for kit, you aren't good enough to justify it. The point being, an expensive bike is an accessory (as in "designer"). If your ego can't take it, let's hope the bank account can. It ain't Mrs Campagnolo's sons or the guys who own the Colnago factory worried about the credit crunch......
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Maybe you were right to be hesitant. I have no idea why you would jump to such a speedy conclusion. I think that folks here were trying to enter into a reasonable debate :roll:
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    It's not rocket science is it? A heavy bike uses more energy to ride than a light one :roll:

So, if you want to lose weight, get a heavy bike. If you want to ride fast, get a light one. Simples (do people still say that?)
  • petemadoc
    pliptrot wrote:
    Well, That about sums it up: these comments support the fact that marketing can be used to take all your money but a little thought may be expedient. A cynic may suppose that if you have to pay for kit, you aren't good enough to justify it. The point being, an expensive bike is an accessory (as in "designer"). If your ego can't take it, let's hope the bank account can. It ain't Mrs Campagnolo's sons or the guys who own the Colnago factory worried about the credit crunch......

Oh dear oh dear

I'm struggling to understand what your point is?

A study has found that a light bike is faster than a bike twice as heavy even on a flat course

We're all mugs for spending money on light bikes . . .

erm am I missing something?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    pliptrot wrote:

Strangely a lot of us use our bikes for racing. 4 min over 30km (on a flat course) is an astronomical amount of time to lose. So because we want the best kit we can afford to meet what we are doing we are all gullible marketing managers dreams?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i see the point, there isnt enough performance difference to justify the cost for the sake of say 8kg or 10 kg but i suppose you have to try it to find out. my 12kg ish bike isnt that much slower than my 8 kg one but £800 pound difference.
    (waits for arrogant nob head to say it is justified price regarding their wallet :roll: )
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    as i needed one for a carbon build.

to be fair- you don't 'need' one for a 'carbon build'...
  • petemadoc
    Pseudonym wrote:
    as i needed one for a carbon build.

to be fair- you don't 'need' one for a 'carbon build'...

To be fair in what way?

The guy didn't say "you don't need a torque wrench" he said "what's a torque wrench" clearly demonstrating his lack of knowledge.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    he might have been trying to be facetious - a bit like I was...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have you not met Pseudonym before :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    timmyturbo wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:

Not a Problem if you have ridden from Peterborough to Boston , coz it's the flatlands , nothing else like it . XX

I live in cambridgeshire 1/2 the year, and oxfordshire the other half... so i don't really know what a real hill looks like :mrgreen:
  • pliptrot wrote:

So much presumption:

1. In terms of bikes - there is not one out there that will "take all my money"
    2. There is no comparison when the gradient rises.....
    3. It's not always about the ego...I find it's the people who can't afford it that often have the ego problem.
    4. I am not worried about the credit crunch

Just for once - imagine a world where your opinion, perspective and experience is not the norm then imagine how much of a nob you would sound to yourself if you spouted that crap above......now, that's what you sound like to me.

Anyway, I'm off to spend some money.

PS - I'm really not that arrogant, but this bollocks where people can only think within their own paradigms really really gets under my skin.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    If you drop a 17kg BSO and an 8kg race bike off a cliff they should take the same time to hit the ground... So if you are thinking of chucking a bike off a cliff make sure it's a BSO.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • rake
    pliptrot wrote:

So much presumption:

3. It's not always about the ego...I find it's the people who can't afford it that often have the ego problem.

Just for once - imagine a world where your opinion, perspective and experience is not the norm then imagine how much of a nob you would sound to yourself if you spouted that crap above......now, that's what you sound like to me.

PS - I'm really not that arrogant, but this bollocks where people can only think within their own paradigms really really gets under my skin.
    he said from his own paradigm.
  • rake wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:

So much presumption:

Where did he say that?
  • rake wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:

So much presumption:

Where did he say that?

I believe the phrase is...*whoosh* :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • rake wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:

So much presumption:

Where did he say that?

I believe the phrase is...*whoosh* :D

Ahhh, yes whoosh indeed, I did not get the message there. Doh!

By the way, yes, I did deliberately say from mine, a different paradigm... To make the point.

However, that does not take away from the point I was making. The OP is making some sweeping generalisations about the vulnerability of all to the marketing machine only from his viewpoint. Along with that there are references to the credit crunch and money....

That just might not be relevant to all and my point is that it's not to me...and probably others.

Plus he is referencing a crap report and dissing sweet sweet bikes......how very dare he!
  • pliptrot
    [Just for once - imagine a world where your opinion, perspective and experience is not the norm then imagine how much of a nob you would sound to yourself if you spouted that crap above......now, that's what you sound like to me.

/quote]

I presume that was written without intentional irony?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Perhaps, just perhaps, most of us buy light bikes because they exhibit better acceleration and handling and are consequently more exhilirating to ride? Not because they are going to get us to work any quicker...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rake
    shadow_e0.gif