Sensitive skin in thighs/hips (was burns from cheap lycra)

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone ever suffered it? I ask because the skin of my upper right thigh has become incredibly sensitive over the last couple of days and feels a bit like sunburn. There is no obvious irritation, however. All I can imagine is that my DHB tights have been irritating the skin/hairs. Please tell me I need to buy Assos (or get all kinky and shave my legs).

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Never had that myself even with cheaper shorts I sometimes have to resort to when commuting
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    Whack some Sudacrem on the affected area too heal it up. Not had a problem with my DHB tights, but have rubbed myself raw on the edge of the pad on some Altura tights, but that was a very obvious seam causing the abrasion. You are, erm, keeping everything clean I trust.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Paul E
    rjsterry wrote:
    Whack some Sudacrem on the affected area too heal it up. Not had a problem with my DHB tights, but have rubbed myself raw on the edge of the pad on some Altura tights, but that was a very obvious seam causing the abrasion. You are, erm, keeping everything clean I trust.

My altura roubaix NV ones do that to me too, I have to wear something under them or I get a very sore spot
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    Paul E wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

My altura roubaix NV ones do that to me too, I have to wear something under them or I get a very sore spot

The exact same model - should have known better than to buy cheap tights, but thought the lashings of Scotchlite would help with the visibility.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonny_trousers
    rjsterry wrote:

Have whacked some Assos chamois cream on it, but will stick some Sudacrem on too.

Hmm, I may have accidentally worn the same shorts twice at some point this week. Enough to cause an irritation, though? Perhaps; I'll be more careful.
  • Paul E
    rjsterry wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

The exact same model - should have known better than to buy cheap tights, but thought the lashings of Scotchlite would help with the visibility.

I was new to the road game when I bought mine, only wear them when it's baltic otherwise I tend to over heat, I hope I don't have to wear them again till the end of the year but they will last for decades if that carries on
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Lycra shorts are supposed to be tight enough so there is no movement of shorts over skin.
    Shorts wearing out by rubbing the saddle is a more likely situation but thats another subject.

I have 2 conclusions.
    1. The shorts are too big/loose.
    or
    2. You need to use some anti-bacterial cream. You could use Sudocrem but I find it too thick and messy. Using Assos cream would sort out your retail therapy :wink:

PS:- I have a pair of DHB unpadded bib tights that I use over bib shorts no problem.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    Are you sure it's from the Lycra rubbing, never really heard of that before. Unless it's somehow trapping hair.
    It could be prickly Heat, your clothing may be too hot for the conditions we've been having.
    Either way I'd experiment with a second pair of leggings to see if it occurs with these too.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • jonny_trousers
    Thanks guys! You're all right and it's clearly not the lycra. I checked on my way in tonight and they were tight, comfortable and didn't bother me. I don't know what I've done to irritate the skin, but it aint the lycra. I'll carry on applying the antibacterial cream and hope it goes away soon.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Sounds like you need to get yourself down to the clinic. :shock:
  • jonny_trousers
    merkin wrote:
    Sounds like you need to get yourself down to the clinic. :shock:

Clap of the lap?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    If you've worn em a couple of times ... Did they dry out properly in between?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jonny_trousers

Yeah. Whatever I have is weird, but I'm now pretty sure it's not cycling related.
  • daviesee

Yeah. Whatever I have is weird, but I'm now pretty sure it's not cycling related.

Too many comments. Must resist. Must resist....... :twisted:
  • cyclingprop
    daviesee wrote:

Resistance is futile.

Scabies?
  • jonny_trousers
    daviesee wrote:

Resistance is futile.

Scabies?

Nope! I actually had scabies in my teens; that sh*t's nasty!

I did a little more research on my symptoms and there are plenty of people out there in internet land who suffer it, but very few obvious solutions. So far it looks like it could be any one, or a combination of, stress, fatigue, low blood sugar levels, nerve damage due to muscular fatigue or the herpes virus. Hooray! :shock:

I have been going carb free in the evenings while I've been dieting and have been cycling pretty hard on my commute (both journeys in the evening) so low blood sugar should factor. I've not been stretching either and have permanent muscle fatigue in the quads, so that could fit in. I've also not been getting as much sleep as I should and the tax man was riding my ass recently so stress could feature too. Hopefully it will just bugger off if I look after myself a bit better and I think I had better add some healthy carbs back into my diet before and after cycling. Might do a bit of TM again too. It's really not much fun.
  • daviesee
    Not mucky women then? :wink:
    Dammit! Couldn't resist :twisted:
  • cyclingprop
    It could just be sweat/heat rash, if you're pushing yourself on the bike. Equally if you scraped it elsewhere and then got sweat in it, it could irritate.
  • jonny_trousers
    daviesee wrote:
    Not mucky women then? :wink:
    Dammit! Couldn't resist :twisted:

Alas no. Although we can't completely rule out the herpes thing. I certainly can't remember any mucky women anyway.
  • jonny_trousers
    It could just be sweat/heat rash, if you're pushing yourself on the bike. Equally if you scraped it elsewhere and then got sweat in it, it could irritate.

Pretty certain it's some weird nerve issue now. Just could do with knowing what's causing it.

Cheers