Saddle Width

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Quick question and not relating to the holy grail of finding a comfortable perch.
I've had my sit bones measured and it appears I've got a fat arris so need a saddle in the 155mm area, I'm going to look and try a few saddles out at the lbs but what I was wondering was, how do you know what width your current saddle is, how is it measured? Is it outside edges? Or centre to centre?

Sorry if the answer is totally obvious but I'm not near my bike at the moment so can't just go measure it.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There is no commonly accepted measure for width. The important measure is the inter-sitbone width. If the saddle has a sitbone feature, use that. Otherwise, everything is relative. Want a wider saddle than the one you have? get one and try it.
    Specialized do a series of saddles in different widths as do Brooks.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Just a couple to consider... Specialized Toupe 155, Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Woah! 155! that's a girls bottom :D

you'll need one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YNRXEM/r ... nkCode=asn
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • OwenB
    team47b wrote:
    Woah! 155! that's a girls bottom :D

you'll need one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YNRXEM/r ... nkCode=asn
    :D if that comes in black as well I'll take it.
    I'm off to wheelbase tomorrow so think I'll get It measured properly and see about a saddle while I'm there.
  • OwenB
    Hmmm, went to Wheelbase today and sat on the assometer, seems I don't need a 155 but a 148 instead. So I'm glad I went, unfortunately for my girlfriend I got talking to the guy in the shop and from talking to me about my bike and how I've been finding it a little less comfy the more that I ride he reckons that maybe I bought too small initially and now I'm more used to riding a road bike I'm more able to stretch out a little more and I should move from a 58 to a 60cm frame.
    So I'm now torn over getting a new bike earlier than next year as planned, had a quick look at a Cannondale SuperSix 105 which I thought looked cracking but I'm going back up there in a couple of weeks to try a load of different bikes out so I may yet get a new saddle, it'll just be attached to a new bike as well!!! :twisted:
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Get a proper bike fit done on your current bike, it maybe that with a longer stem and the saddle position changed your current bike can be made to fit. Unless you want a new bike :D
  • OwenB
    Well I was intending on getting one anyway, this just speeds up the process!!
    The guy has said he'd throw a bike fit in on any bike bought at wheelbase if I'm going for a carbon one so I think it's worth a look at least!