Fairly light, fairly wide, all-rounder tyres?

mcj78
mcj78 Posts: 634
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey all,

Didn't get out much on the bike last year (knee probs) & making more of a concerted effort to do so this year - some info needed on tyres as there seems to be 50 new lines every year & lots of conflicting advice!

I'm looking for something fairly fat so it takes the sting out of the trail & a general all rounder type of profile (don't do quagmires - get soaked enough midweek commuting :oops: ), ideally i'd like something light too - I mainly ride trailcentres so they don't have to be DH tough, the extra volume is just to provide some extra cushioning / grip.

I ride a SC Chameleon with Pikes up front - so 2.5" will be ok, currently on a set of Conti. Verticals 2.3 which haven't been too bad, but they're pretty much done. Also have a set of Maxxis larsen TT Exception (2.0/2.2 can't remember which) which are great if it's dry, but lose it a bit when it gets muddy.

Any suggestions for a light, fat, all-rounder tyre?

Cheers,
John
Moda Issimo
Genesis Volare 853
Charge Filter Apex

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Or Racing Ralph 2.4", better than a Nic in the dry, lighter, faster and neither are much cop in the mud anyway!
  • mcj78
    Fast convergent responses - I like it! Cheers guys, i'll look into the Nobby Nics.

njee20, not too bothered about dry performance, the maxxis larsen's I have spare don't get much of a run out in the West of Scotland so they'll be good for years of dry riding :wink:

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'd take the conti mkII over a nobby nic.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • im very happy with my nobby nics in 2.1. i was using racing ralph but do now prefer the nic.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    How about a nick upfront and a ralph at the back?

I've found it to be spot on for most things, and very quick too.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    depending on where and how you ride, a combo of 2.35 hans dampf front and 2.25 nobby nic rear or nics front and rear is a good combo
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 stick-e on the front and a Specialized Eskar 2.3 on the back. Slower than the Nobby Nics but miles better in mud.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Nobby nics seem weird in mud, sometimes they grip like stink, others they just clog and have zero... never had any problems on the trails back on home, hence why everyone I ride with has atleast 1 pair, bring them to wales and they are lethal!! very odd indeed...
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Nobby Nic front and ralph on the back for me too,but will probably go for ralphs all round soon.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Maxxis Ardents fast and grippy in the dry and damp but dont like gloopy mud. If you get the folders they are also pretty light and blow up big.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    From your description I'd suggest the Ardents too. The 2.25 Ardent is huge volume and blow up bigger than some 2.35's. Single ply's are pretty light too, providing your not DH riding or thrashing over rocks they are plenty tough enough. 8)
  • mcj78
    Cheers guys - plenty of food for thought there, checking out the prices for some - pretty mental £££ for top end tyres thesedays! :shock:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex