Volagi Liscio Update

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Thought I'd just update you on my experiences with the V and its Di2 too (Desmond?)

In short, I love it - I think it must fit me really well because it's really comfortable and really quick too. Despite the cold temps, winter waist, mudguards and extra layers, I've consistently nailed most of my Strava segments that were set last summer on the carbon Cayo (the only segment I'm missing is the Bridge north - wind-assisted with an unheard of strong southerly). I'm really looking forward to what it will do once the weather warms up.

The brakes are fully bedded in and are just fantastic - just a totally different league from the rim brakes even in the dry. A bike shop owner who has a V in the US who rides mountains all the time (regularly exceeds 60mph apparently and has destroyed sets of carbon rims through overheating with rim brakes) says there's more to come with a rotor upgrade too. Volagi are bringing out a carbon wheel shortly - it's a huge temptation though I'm not sure I need it.

Di2 - it's just lovely although not in the slightest bit essential. I wrote elsewhere that shifting becomes about as subconscious as I can imagine it being (without it being ESP). Since I set it up (which is a very similar process to a cable shift) it's been totally faultless - every shift effortless and perfect.

Issues? The seat post took a bit of taming but is sorted now and doesn't slip. Volagi supplied me with a different clamp but I've not fitted it yet. Fitting guards, due to slight unconventional mounting points, takes a bit of fiddling but that's a one-off minor issue. Chain quick-link cracked (KMC item) but that's the only reliability issue - probably due to the effort it took to fit (asked the LBS to swap it when I went in to buy a new one (and a spare!) and they commented on how incredibly hard it was to undo).

All-in-all it's been a great purchase - fast, comfortable and practical: pretty much the ultimate commuter for my journey. Very happy.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Glad to hear you're still in love, sounds like an excellent weapon. Now, could you get it up to 80 on the M6?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Want.

Might be less destitute soon too...

Want.

It's really the bike my Roubaix should've been. I think the Volagi for nice commute/sportive (I don't do race-geometry bikes)... Maybe an Enigma for best, with a Genesis Equilibrium for the bulk of the commute.
    Plus my Giant for most offroad, and a Cotic Rocket for proper tanking, and some sort of SS/cross-type affair for snow/ice.
    Oh and a cargo bike.
    And a tandem (and the stoker to go with it).
    And a Pugsley or similar fatbike.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • meanredspider
    Two fastest commutes of the year today and one of my fastest ever rides home despite the cold and still air.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    All sounds ideal - glad your enjoying it!!

It does look a great bike and your reports confirm it as being good as it looks.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I refuse to look at this thread, still dead jealous.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Great update, more pics next time, please.
    davis wrote:
    [...]It's really the bike my Roubaix should've been.[...]
    Ditto. I try to instead think of the savings, but I'm not convincing myself.
    davis wrote:
    [...]

Get out of my head!
  • davis
    DrLex wrote:
    davis wrote:
    davis wrote:
    [...]

Get out of my head!

Don't you have a Pompetamine Versa 11 too? I do -- are you stalking me?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    davis wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    davis wrote:
    davis wrote:
    [...]

Get out of my head!

Just got a S/H flat bar. What else have you got for me to ape? Are there BR stalking points to be won?
  • davis
    DrLex wrote:
    davis wrote:

Just got a S/H flat bar. What else have you got for me to ape? Are there BR stalking points to be won?

Hmm...

Spesh Roubaix (best/ nice commute)
    Spesh Sirrus (previous commuting workhorse, now retired crash bike)
    Pompetamine Versa 11 (commuting workhorse)
    Giant Anthem (full-suss MTB - hilarious)
    Cotic Roadrat with Alfine 8 (on loan to my dad)
    Scott Reflex (very first commuter, now a hideous wreck of an MTB)

You can get a shiny gold stalker point (cash value 0.0000001p) for each one!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Buy the carbon wheels!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    STEEL VOLAGI

(seeing as your thread has been spammed MRS)

I love it.
  • meanredspider
    STEEL VOLAGI

(seeing as your thread has been spammed MRS)

I love it.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/21/eye ... road-bike/

Damn forking spammers - hopefully the mods will just delete tht post rather than the thread
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FBV ... red___57cm

Volagi with UItegra at £2k?

Purdy
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Lovely, lovely bike. Definitely the ultimate commuter for anyone who needs to ride long distances in dodgy conditions.
  • meanredspider
    Great bike. Great price too
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dhope wrote:

I was at Planet X this weekend and saw it. Oddly disappointing to me in the flesh/plastic - somehow less pretty than in the photos. It uninspired me the same way that Pinarellos uninspire me but I can see why folk would like them and it does stand out. Needs some colour scheme variations though.

The UD carbon fibre seemed rather neatly done - it doesn't look at all like it was done in a primary school collage class like my Ribble Gran Fondo does!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,079
    dhope wrote:
    Blimey, that's great value. Though looks like a discontinued line as I can't see any for sale in the main bikes section of the website?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • meanredspider
    edited June 2012
    Rolf F wrote:
    Oddly disappointing to me in the flesh/plastic - somehow less pretty than in the photos.

Funny because that's not at all the response I get to mine - people remark how beautiful it is in the flesh.

BTW - my brother has bought the Planet-X one. He rode mine at the weekend and was hooked.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Blimey, that's great value. Though looks like a discontinued line as I can't see any for sale in the main bikes section of the website?

My guess would be that they bought one only for... analysis?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,079
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

My guess would be that they bought one only for... analysis?
    Possibly - let's hope they decide to start selling them, as having a UK dealer (that's also known for competitive pricing) would be good :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    Oddly disappointing to me in the flesh/plastic - somehow less pretty than in the photos.

Funny because that's not at all the response I get to mine - people remark how beautiful it is in the flesh.

BTW - my brother has bought the Planet-X one. He rode mine at the weekend and was hooked.

But like I say, lots of people love Pinarellos but everytime I go into Bicielo in Birmingham they leave me cold. Probably I just prefer more conventional frames - I think my lugged Look is far prettier than my more swoopy Gran Fondo but most people seem to think the reverse.

The PX one was taken from the window and put on a Turbo while I was there - was your brother in on Sunday morning?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    I wonder what percentage of UK Volagis are owned by the MRS family.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Think it went back to 100% after a brief stint at 50%
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    Can we report them to the monopolies comission then? Force them to share.
  • meanredspider
    One in England and one in Scotland seems only fair. My other brother is in Vancouver though.