Finish line Grunge Brush

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,664
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

My poor Finish line chain cleaner gave up the ghost recently after many years faithful and cackhanded (by me)service. I'm looking to replace it, but the grunge brush is avaialble for much less. Has anyone had any experience of it? Is it best just to get a proper chain cleaner anyway?

I know we all have our own wives tales about chain cleaning but I prefer the chain cleaner approach.

Thanks for your help!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Big fan. Far far far better than the 'bath' type cleaners. Lasts for ages, brings the chain up nicely. I use mine with washing up liquid.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not heard of those before so had to google (and then watched the youtube video...) I have to say I can't see how it would work as well as a chain bath unless you're chain is just muddy rather than coated in oily gunk. If the former then any old brush will work, if the latter then you need the degreaser in the bath to get it to do a decent job surely?
  • njee20
    No. You put a degreaser on the chain (I do sometimes use white spirit on the commuter), and pedal backwards through the brushes, which clean it. Quicker than a bath job, with fewer bits to break/lose!

You don't really want to degrease right inside all the links as you do with a bath type. KMC used to specifically say not to use them. Don't know if they still do.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have read lots of comments about the grunge brush spraying the mess everywhere though.

I use a chain cleaner which has an aerosol of degreaser attached - clamp it round the chain, spin backwards while spraying. Just as easy but the tool contains all of the muck and degreaser and doesnt need constand reapplying of the degreaser as it dries or runs off. Works for me - just the same as the grunge brush but better...
  • njee20
    I have read lots of comments about the grunge brush spraying the mess everywhere though.

Why would it do that? I can't even work out the physics of that, it's basically 3 strategically placed brushes on the chain. Compared to the mess you get when you give your tyres a scrub and spin the wheels it's nothing. If you clean your chain in the living room perhaps it's an issue, but then you're a moron.
    I use a chain cleaner which has an aerosol of degreaser attached - clamp it round the chain, spin backwards while spraying. Just as easy but the tool contains all of the muck and degreaser and doesnt need constand reapplying of the degreaser as it dries or runs off. Works for me - just the same as the grunge brush but better...

The White Lightning Clean Streak one? Grunge Brush is better IMO, if nothing else it doesn't use tonnes of Clean Streak!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yep - the white lightning one. I have just got one which looks even better though http://www.dealextreme.com/p/convenient ... sher-21479 (sold for more money as the Muc off X1 in the UK).
  • njee20
    Well each to their own and that, but personally I find the Grunge Brush far better than any of the bath types. Used to sell them by the bucket load (we used them in the workshop too, which was sufficient endorsement, particularly as they were cheaper than the other options) and never heard a complaint.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    My chain routine is wipe it with a rag, apply Rock n Roll Extrememe, wipe with rag, done :D
  • ddraver
    Interesting, I don't like the ones with the attached spray bottle as when i used a Muc Off one, it just used to use tonnes of the spray. When I had my lovely Finish line one I would use it with plain water first (with the MTB) to get the muddy crap off them use degreaser to clean it deeply, then repeat with water before doing the rest of the bike.

Njee are they good on properly filthy chains as I occasionally do my Dutch bike every 4 months or so, which gets properly filthy
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    I think so, like I say i use it on my commuter which I wash at most twice a year, bit of white spirit and it comes up nicely.
  • ddraver
    Hmm, well I could nt get to that particular shop so I got one of the Weldtite ones instead, Not impressed compared to my finish line one so far - that Derailleur hook thingum just does nt work!

I used an entire can of Finish Line degreaser and I still could nt get all of the crap off of the drive train! I think it's the first time it's been washed since it was made in something like 1982!!

Thanks for your help Guys!
    - @ddraver