Adapting to a new bike

The Spiderman
The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
edited March 2012 in MTB general
For the last 5 years I`ve been riding a medium sized Giant XTC hardtail,but last week I finally got round to getting a Giant Anthem which I have been wanting for years.

Now I`d never been truly happy with the sizing of the XTC,at just under 6 ft,I always that the medium felt it was a little too small.

I was however a little nervous about going for an Anthem in Large,as I always felt that I fall somewhere between Giant`s medium and large for sizing.

Whilst I still believe if Giant did an M/L size that would be my best option,it was very strange getting back on the XTC having ridden the Anthem this week.

On the Anthem it feels long and stable,that you sit "in the bike",though my fears of it feeling like a "gate" haven`t materialised.When I got back on the XTC I felt as though I was on it,almost felt precariously tipped over the front of the bike and it just felt wrong.

Which is weird because before I rode the Anthem in a large,I always thought it felt nice,nimble and flickable.In fact it did feel as though it was too small.

I just think it goes to show how you just get used to what you know,but it is surprising how quickly you adapt to a new bike and different sizing.I also think it proves that longer tests are a must.
2006 Giant XTC
2010 Giant Defy Advanced
2016 Boardman Pro 29er
2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
2017 Canondale Supersix Evo

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Very true and I point we will be trying tomorrow, taking both bikes, Giant reign and Dmr sidekick up gisburn for back to back testing and compare.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yes, you're right. I also think many people ride bikes that are too small for them, but use excuses such as "its much more flickable/chuckable"
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Having ridden the large I now understand why I was sometimes having problems on steep technical stuff.When sat on a smaller frame at the same saddle height,(on both m and l) your weight is always going to be higher and further forward.Which is my excuse for going head over bars on a number of occasions.......

I think bike fit also depends on the type of riding you do.Whilst I think I now prefer the large for XC I think if I were to buy a "play" bike ,(I`m still wanting a Whyte 905),I`d still go for the medium.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    its nearly always a trade off between stability and flickable character, a longer bike will always be more stable, but a shorter bike will feel more responsive. I like both traits, so it is very hard to find something thats suits the character you want, and you suddenly realise this going back from a new to an old bike, switching between my HD and maxlight is scary!! :lol:
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    coming from an old school bike where i once went over the bars going uphill, im currently enjoying stopping myself from trying backflips every time i try a jump :oops: my weights so much further back im having to re learn how to jump again! flipside is its faster downhill and more stable :twisted:
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just