Are Cycle Superhighways really that aweful?

jodypress
jodypress Posts: 94
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I had the unpleasant experience of altering my commute home. This was basically from Covent Garden to Leyton.

My first annoyance was along Lower Thames Street after London Bridge. There is a bike lane with a solid line. I.E NO motorbikes allowed. The amount of times I was held up by a scooter/motorbike was ridiculous. They shouldn't be using that lane.

Then I get onto the CS2, and along Mile End what's the point of it. The amount of cars that were blocking my route along it was again frankly ridiculous.

My question is how the heck do commuters enjoy riding along there. I remember before the CS2 when I was riding in from South Woodford and there were bike/bus lanes. Much much better.

Cars don't tend to go in bus lanes as much as they do CS routes. I'm glad I'm back to my normal route of bus lanes and bike lanes.
Commuter: Litespeed Sienna, DA 7800
Sunday Best: Cervelo S2 DA 7900
Winter Hack: Cannondale Badboy discs for those really snowy commutes
Spare: Trek 1200 (ali) with 9sd 105
HED V04 TT being built

Comments

• The main issue with CSs I have is that they attract too many cyclists. After that, moped riders take pride of place as scum of the earth. I'd have a flamethrower at every set of lights to thin them out.

Be aware though that some CSs are tIme controlled like bus lanes. Occasionally you will see a taxi on CS8 blasting up the narrow CS after houses. It's a tight fit, but it is allowed.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's not illegal to drive in a CS lane at anytime. Restrictions apply when the CS lane enters a bus lane, then bus lane restriction applies.

That said I think CSs have worked up to a point. They define the space that should be allowed for cyclists. That's it. At the same time they haven't solved problems around junctions (Stratford Flyover heading towards Stratford spring to mind), lane changes (as the lane forces you to the left of traffic when you may need to get into the middle lane motorists get annoyed believing that you should always stay left now the lanes are there), turning right and right or emmerging vehicles from side roads.

There is also the slight problem that the lanes allow for no overtaking space so if you are riding with a long line of traffic to the right you can only go as fast as the person in front until it's safe to perform an overtake.

But in terms of raising the general awareness of cyclists to motorists I've noticed a marked inprovement in areas where the cycle lane and advertising has been implemented compared to when it wasn't there.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Oddly enough there is a motorcycle rider I've had words with on cs7 who think it legal to ride in cycle lane.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070308

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.
    [Law RTRA sects 5 & 8]
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    CS8 works really well, others I've used have been a bit piecemeal. I think the effectiveness of the CSH depends on what the road was like before. It works well on wide fast roads where there wasnt previously any clearly marked space for cyclists. I think it specifically works well on roads that are just wide enough to entice drivers to go two abreast where there isn't really enough space to do that, like along Millbank going east. CB-Cheyne would be the perfect candidate for extension imo.

I'm not sure it works so well on narrower roads. They could put a CSH along NKR, but it would still be a nightmare.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sketchley wrote:
    Oddly enough there is a motorcycle rider I've had words with on cs7 who think it legal to ride in cycle lane.

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.
    [Law RTRA sects 5 & 8]

Just as I thought, not legal at all. If I get one behind me I make sure I position myself so they can't get by and I slow right down if there are no other cyclists that I would be holding up.
  • Sketchley wrote:

[Law RTRA sects 5 & 8]

Hmm. I am pretty sure that there are some parts of CS8 west of Battersea Park that are painted blue with no white line - solid or broken. I wonder what the rules are there.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • sketchley
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

[Law RTRA sects 5 & 8]

Hmm. I am pretty sure that there are some parts of CS8 west of Battersea Park that are painted blue with no white line - solid or broken. I wonder what the rules are there.

They are in bus lanes, so bus lane rules apply....
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

[Law RTRA sects 5 & 8]

The one I have in mind runs westbound along Battersea Park Road past the junction with Latchmere Road. No bus lane. Just a blue CS lane with no border markings.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You have to kinda wonder if the lanes are fit for purpose if motorcyclists can clog them up. In heavy, stationary traffic, cycle lanes just provide a means to safely filter past jams. If its full of scooters idling then its not really any good.

They mostly stay out though.
  • sketchley
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

[Law RTRA sects 5 & 8]

The one I have in mind runs westbound along Battersea Park Road past the junction with Latchmere Road. No bus lane. Just a blue CS lane with no border markings.

In that case it's just blue paint.....
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Maybe as well as having a bicycle painted in bike lanes and ASLs, there should also be a no motorbike symbol painted as well?
    dep_6782029-No-motorcycle-sign-isolated-bike-prohibition-zone-signage.jpg
    Its so annoying that so many problems that cyclists face could be eradicated with proper training, education and information rather than legislation.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    notsoblue wrote:
    CS8 works really well, others I've used have been a bit piecemeal. I think the effectiveness of the CSH depends on what the road was like before. It works well on wide fast roads where there wasnt previously any clearly marked space for cyclists. I think it specifically works well on roads that are just wide enough to entice drivers to go two abreast where there isn't really enough space to do that, like along Millbank going east. CB-Cheyne would be the perfect candidate for extension imo. I'm not sure it works so well on narrower roads. They could put a CSH along NKR, but it would still be a nightmare.

this.

although mostly my problem with NKR is the road surface (and the traffic intensity, and the number of lights). i've only just started going the back way through Chelsea Harbour, but i think i prefer it!

i also agree with DDD: at their best, CSs mark out a clear and highly visible space for cyclists. that is useful, i reckon. and of course *ahem* you can go a little bit faster on the shiny blue paint.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail