Is this a decent cheap wheel

dis00
dis00 Posts: 16
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

Bent my wheel after hit a tree stump and need to get a new one as the rim cannot be trued and I don't have the time to strip and build just using a new rim.

So, can anybody advise if this is a good setup for XC and a bit of downhill action but nothing crazy?

Shimano XT Disc Hub Front M756
32h Black 6-Bolt
2 Mavic 2012 XM319 Disc Rim
32h Black 26inch
3 DT Swiss Spokes Champion Stainless PG
Silver 2mm

Cheers Dean

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Decent, depends what your idea of cheap is.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dis00
    I guess it means within my budget
  • cooldad
    Er right. Which is?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dis00
    under 80
  • cooldad
    Price is reasonable.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is that for 2 wheels?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Given you can get a pair of MT55s for under 150, 80 sounds a bit steep for this wheel.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dis00
    its about 64 quid actually. I was more interested if anybody knew if they are decent components?
  • benpinnick
    OK, in that price then yes, good value. All the parts are good - not top of the range, but good in their own right. The rim isnt the strongest, so it will need to be a good build for it to last, but if built well no reason why it wouldn't.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have MT 756 hubs.They are good reliable hubs if you know how to look after cup and cone hubs.
    They are heavy though.In fact I have 2 pairs of wheels,one are a pair of SLX hubs with 317 rims and the other XT M756 with 717S.The pair with the SLX hubs are vitually the same weight,which is surprising given the extra weight of the 317 rim over the 717.

If you can see if you can get a later XT hub (mostly centre lock) or maybe just go for SLX.

Alternatively have you seen the MT15 wheels on Merlin?

Not much more for a pair,then sell the existing rear.......
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • dis00

Alternatively have you seen the MT15 wheels on Merlin?

Not much more for a pair,then sell the existing rear.......

I did see those. Is it difficult to put the cogs on the new rear?
  • dis00
    Also can anybody explain what the QR and 10,15,20mm means. The bike is a merida matts pro-d if that helps
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    It's the width of the axle.

Most likely you have QR (Quick Release)
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • benpinnick
    Front wheels have a choice of QR, 9mm, 15 or 20mm.

The first is your regular quick release which you have (I believe, unless you changed the forks). 9mm is therefore also compatible with your forks currently, or any QR forks, and is a fat version of a QR. You would need a different QR skewer for it if you got a 9mm through axle hub - chances are you wont though as they are rare and generally expensive. For an example of this google 'DT RWS 9mm'. 15 mm and 20mm are through axles. This means that the axle (which replaces the QR) screws into the forks, through a 15 or 20mm hole in the hub. This is most common on newer high end forks and hubs. As a rule, but certainly not exclusively, 15mm is specced on decent 'trail' forks, while 20mm is on freeride and DH forks.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    XM319 rims are a bit weak for downhill, even if your taking it steady. I use EX721's for everything, not too heavy & mega strong. I don't like Shimano hubs, mainly because of the cup & cone bearings which are good but I can't be bothered to maintain them
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    benpinnick wrote:

The first is your regular quick release which you have (I believe, unless you changed the forks). 9mm is therefore also compatible with your forks currently, or any QR forks, and is a fat version of a QR. You would need a different QR skewer for it if you got a 9mm through axle hub - chances are you wont though as they are rare and generally expensive. For an example of this google 'DT RWS 9mm'. 15 mm and 20mm are through axles. This means that the axle (which replaces the QR) screws into the forks, through a 15 or 20mm hole in the hub. This is most common on newer high end forks and hubs. As a rule, but certainly not exclusively, 15mm is specced on decent 'trail' forks, while 20mm is on freeride and DH forks.

OK - nice one ben! I'm in the process of choosing some new wheels. So I can go for 9mm through-axle for the front which I guess should stiffen things up a little (compared to a standard QR skewer)?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    benpinnick wrote:

OK - nice one ben! I'm in the process of choosing some new wheels. So I can go for 9mm through-axle for the front which I guess should stiffen things up a little (compared to a standard QR skewer)?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • benpinnick
    You can, the benefit is marginal in my experience, but no reason not to have it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.