Pulling a tag-along for the first time...

pollys_bott
pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
Hi everyone;

So our daughter started in the trailer, moved to a seat and today we picked her up from nursery and brought her home proudly perched on a tag-along bike. Now I'm quite sure I attached it right and I'm equally sure that the fact that it feels all wrong and weird is simply because it's a new experience and a departure from normal bike handling. Are there any tag-along-pulling veterans who can reassure me that I will get used to it and I won't spend every second feeling paranoid that she'll fall off?!

The instructions said to tighten the clamp onto the seat post to such a degree that it is difficult to move it sideways by hand: stupid question I know, but this is right, yes? You want the tag-along to have a bit of lateral movement but not too much?

Thanks...

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Different designs work in different ways, however...

The clamp itself should not move. At all.

The pivot/hinge beyond that should provide the movement. If your child's tagalong is on a lean, most-likely you haven't put the clamp on straight (use a site-line across the top tube to ensure it is)
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    You soon get used to the extra weight and added wobble...

As mentioned above, try to get the coupling as tight as possible. My tag-a-long was 4th hand, so this required an additionaly washer to get the fit snug. Mine also has a bit of play on the arm, where it can be folded for compactness, but you soon get used to it.

Definitely need to discourage any deliberate wobbling by the littl'un, as it plays havoc with stability and if your not careful they think it is funny so want to do it more...

I have to admit the added length took a little bit of getting used to, especially negotiating any barriers or tight spots. The gate into Nursery is a particular difficulty for me...

Good luck with it.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Yes they are wobbly things no matter how tight the clamp is, but much cheaper / convenient than a child-back tandem. You pays your money.....
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Thanks everyone for the replies, picked her up again the following day and it felt better; doing it again this Thurs / Fri too so am sure we'll both be more confident with it soon.
  • Had my youngest on a Giant Halfwheeler for a couple of years. It was diconcerting at first but as with riding alone you get used to it. Try and keep the rest of your party alongside or in front. I recall that his swinging round looking for mummy or his older brother caused a lurch or to to one side or the other. Carrying the additional dead weight at the end of rides was the bigger problem, once cornering like an articulated lorry was mastered of course!
  • We have a Yuba Mundo (www.yubaride.com) it's basically our minivan. They don't get to pedal like a tagalong but my little ones are too small anyway and I don't really like how they flop around hanging off the back. This is our journey with it, if anyone is interested: www.tinyhelmetsbigbikes.com