£1500 to spend on a full sus

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
What shall it be? Obviously going to test a few out at the LBS but he's way overpriced to be honest so am thinking more a buy online. Canyon is the obvious place to be.

Just after some pointers as to what is the minimal model I should want for £1500? E.G. Which fork and shock? Breaks? Chainset?

Cheers

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Canyon Nerve XC 6 or XC 7 is all the bike you really need.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • concorde
    Yeah was thinking the same, probably go with the 7.0. But is the Fox 32 F120 RL on the 7.0 better than the Reba RL on the 6.0?!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Concorde wrote:
    Yeah was thinking the same, probably go with the 7.0. But is the Fox 32 F120 RL on the 7.0 better than the Reba RL on the 6.0?!
    probably not, most likely about the same, but in theory the brakes are be better, and you get the XT chainset compared to the octolink one on the 6
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • concorde
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    probably not, most likely about the same, but in theory the brakes are be better, and you get the XT chainset compared to the octolink one on the 6

Yeah just as well go with the 7.0. Ain't going to get better than that at the price I don't think. It's pretty much impossible ain't it.
  • chez_m356
    the only problem you'll have now is deciding which colour you want and then having to wait for it coming :lol:
  • concorde
    Haha too right. My mate is ordering one first, I'm going to wait for his to come back and have a go...
  • chez_m356
    Concorde wrote:
    Haha too right. My mate is ordering one first, I'm going to wait for his to come back and have a go...
    now thats a really sensible thing to do, but i bet you'll be kicking yourself thinking 'aaargh' why didn't i order mine then :lol:
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    If you're a medium get the Stumpy Carbon Expert in the classifieds.

If anything just to stop me buying it.

Thankyouplease.
  • aguesty1
    aguesty1 Posts: 97
    +1 for the Canyons!

Unbelievable value for money, the kit you get on them is fantastic and they are definitely a good looking bike. Only problem is that they aren't in shops over here, so warranty issues are troublesome, bloke in our LBS has one with the breaks missing as he had to send them back to Germany! Personally it wouldn't put me off! Go Canyon :D
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Aslo Maybe look at the ghost AMR 5900 if your budget acan stretch..

or the Giant Anthem X3
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Shame you cant get the reba on the 7..
  • concorde
    Cheers all for the advice. I will have a look at those other two bikes. EH Rob I think you should just give in and get that stumpy Haha.

Northern, yes, I do want a reba more than a fox!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    This (last?) months MBUK tested out four £1500 full sussers.

The Scott Spark 60 came out on top, Lapierre X-Control 310 was 2nd.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london

Trek Session 8
  • chez_m356
    wow thats nearly as nice as my canyon, not that i'm biased or anything :wink:
  • felix.london
    Yep - I hear ya. I think the Nerve AM will be my 2013 purchase

Trek Session 8
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    Genuinely NOT biased at all but I am more than made up with my Canyon Nerve XC 7.O only difference to bike it ISCG Mounts & travel essentially. I was going to buy the AM but when I looked at what I had done on my bike in the past 12 months I realised an XC was fine. Its perfect for UK trails. It also looks alot better in the flesh to which is a bonus. :)
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918

That's where my money would be going at the mo. For a longer travel bike I haven't seen anything else to match it in terms of value. Nearest has been some Saracen Ariel 2's at around £1400 which looked terrific for the money.

The Canyon AMs are a bit more money, if I recall.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • chez_m356
    mac man wrote:

That's where my money would be going at the mo. For a longer travel bike I haven't seen anything else to match it in terms of value. Nearest has been some Saracen Ariel 2's at around £1400 which looked terrific for the money.

the AM 6 is cheaper, but the spec isn't as good as the YT, now if the spec on the AM 6 was still the same as last years :wink:
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    chez_m356 wrote:
    mac man wrote:

the AM 6 is cheaper, but the spec isn't as good as the YT, now if the spec on the AM 6 was still the same as last years :wink:

There's a Wicked 150E at 1599 Euros, which is the one I was thinking of: http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index ... t&info=162

how does this compare with the one in the other link? A lot of thespec is pretty similar... well to me anyways
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • chez_m356
    basically looks to be forks, wheelset and finishing kit ''stem,bars etc'' that are of, shall we say, a percieved lesser value, looks bloody good to me though :wink:
  • felix.london
    mac man wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    mac man wrote:

There's a Wicked 150E at 1599 Euros, which is the one I was thinking of: http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index ... t&info=162

how does this compare with the one in the other link? A lot of thespec is pretty similar... well to me anyways

Different bike, different geometry.

The Wicked 150 is slacker, lower & longer than the 150E. Guess depends on what the OP's gonna be riding and their riding style. The 150 is definitely designed with more gnarly Enduro & DH riding in mind with that geo and the dual/bash & chain guide etc. Looks like the 150E is a 3x9 setup

I know which one I'd go for :wink: Although they both look like mingers compared to the Canyons (imho of course!)

Trek Session 8
  • chez_m356
    Different bike, different geometry.

The Wicked 150 is slacker, lower & longer than the 150E. Guess depends on what the OP's gonna be riding and their riding style. The 150 is definitely designed with more gnarly Enduro & DH riding in mind with that geo and the dual/bash & chain guide etc. Looks like the 150E is a 3x9 setup
    seems strange that, they obviously include it in there Wicked150 range, but has slightly different geo to the 150 and 150ltd, regardless of which, if it is the "budget" model of the range, still a hell of a bargain