Hope big un rear hub

Davie mac
Davie mac Posts: 43
edited March 2012 in MTB general
hi guys,after breaking the flanges on my hope pro 2 rear hub i bought a hope big un rear from a friend and ive replaced the four sealed bearing and its now nice and tight i paid £50 for it and anouther £5 for the bearings,i just want to know if this seems like a reasonable price and the genral opinion from yous experianced peeps on these hubs.

thanks guys :D

oh and he also flung in two 5 bolt rotors 1no 160mm and 1no 183mm

Comments

• Would you not have been better off asking this BEFORE you bought them?

And the most important thing is that YOU think they're worth it. The Value of something is subjective.
  • Davie mac
    yes your correct bud,i kind of bought it on impulse,im not the sharpest tool,im happy with it anyway its just a bit heavy tho(but solid) would still be nice to hear the opinion of someone who has used them.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Big, heavier than necessary, will survive nuclear holocausts. A pointless but well built piece of kit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Davie mac
    benpinnick wrote:
    Big, heavier than necessary, will survive nuclear holocausts. A pointless but well built piece of kit.
    thanks ben,kind of feel better now for parting with the cash,still a bit cheaper than forking out £130 for a new pro2 and ive not got the pedestrian startiling ticking noise also :wink:
  • benpinnick wrote:

All correct, I concur... Apart from the well built bit, the pawls in the drive were crap, used to brake and the seals were rubbish... But Bombproof as a hub they were....
  • Davie mac
    benpinnick wrote:

All correct, I concur... Apart from the well built bit, the pawls in the drive were crap, used to brake and the seals were rubbish... But Bombproof as a hub they were....

Bang! Bang! you shot me down..ha ha :lol:
  • Don't get me wrong, I had them on a Yeti DH8 in 1999 and they were strong, stiff and bombproof but were heavy and cried in the face of mud... As hubs go, they aren't the worst... ;0)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Don't get me wrong, I had them on a Yeti DH8 in 1999 and they were strong, stiff and bombproof but were heavy and cried in the face of mud... As hubs go, they aren't the worst... ;0)
    Hope's supposedly XC-oriented "bulb" hub of the same period was often favoured for DH racing and trials because of it's better build quality, if I remember rightly.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bulbs are still in demand!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't get me wrong, I had them on a Yeti DH8 in 1999 and they were strong, stiff and bombproof but were heavy and cried in the face of mud... As hubs go, they aren't the worst... ;0)
    Hope's supposedly XC-oriented "bulb" hub of the same period was often favoured for DH racing and trials because of it's better build quality, if I remember rightly.
    Nope the Bulb was the all round hub. The XC. Was the lighter hub.

But yes the bulb is still the best hub they have made.

Must order a spare rear axel before I forget.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Big Un's Little Brother lol
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    supersonic wrote:
    I don't see why, pro IIs are just as good, from my experience (won't be getting rid of my pro IIs any time soon)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    nicklouse wrote:
    Nope the Bulb was the all round hub. The XC. Was the lighter hub.

But yes the bulb is still the best hub they have made.

Must order a spare rear axel before I forget.
    Ooh, you can still get parts for them? Hmm.
    Any idea if changing a rear Bulb into a Maxle hub is a straightforward upgrade?
  • Davie mac
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I don't see why, pro IIs are just as good, from my experience (won't be getting rid of my pro IIs any time soon)
    Good luck with that ive had two pro2 hub break at the spoke flanges also had a hope headset lower cup break apart,replaced it with a second hand chris king and its been fine for two years,i might get flamed for this but i think hope stuff is over priced tatt!!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Davie mac wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Good luck with that ive had two pro2 hub break at the spoke flanges also had a hope headset lower cup break apart,replaced it with a second hand chris king and its been fine for two years,i might get flamed for this but i think hope stuff is over priced tatt!!

on the most, though i was pleased with my old 11/8th hope heaset, and my BB, everything else i've seen and tried not so good :(
  • Davie mac
    To be fair ive never tried their bottom brackets or brakes.
  • ilovedirt
    Davie mac wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    My Hope headset and wheelset have both been fine since I bought them brand new almost two years ago and they've taken some serious abuse. Besides, Hope customer service is really good, anyone I know that's broken hope gear has been sent a brand new component, regardless of whether it was inside warranty or not.

Davie mac wrote:
    To be fair ive never tried their bottom brackets or brakes.
    I don't like their brakes, I've never owned them, just didn't like the feel of the ones that I've tried.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I ran a pair of Big Un's for years and they build into a really strong package with the right rim. I had them for years and never had to touch them.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794

We ordered a 12mm axle conversion for a customer the other day and Hope still had stock. Would it be 135x12mm you'd want to go?
  • YeehaaMcgee

We ordered a 12mm axle conversion for a customer the other day and Hope still had stock. Would it be 135x12mm you'd want to go?
    Yep. I'd then need to buy a new QR rear wheel for the bike I'd be pinching the bulb off of too though.
  • ilovedirt
    I'm not surprised, if there's still demand for them, Hope will probably still machine them every so often.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794

Yep. I'd then need to buy a new QR rear wheel for the bike I'd be pinching the bulb off of too though.

Hopes part number for the conversion is HUB212 and should cost about £24